Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to my wifes concern over my health we are looking to Trike my 2010 wing. I have a local dealer who does Champion and CSC. Any riders of these rigs that can give me a little input on these will be most welcome. I aslo looked at the 2012 Tri Glide but chain drive and other bad press pushed me away.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Given my druthers I'd go CSC but that's just me. Maybe our resident trike gurus hava a more informed opinion.

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Both are good conversions, but the one important thing you want is an in-line drive shaft, where the pumpkin and the drive shaft line up with the output shaft of the Wing.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Due to my wifes concern over my health we are looking to Trike my 2010 wing. I have a local dealer who does Champion and CSC. Any riders of these rigs that can give me a little input on these will be most welcome. I aslo looked at the 2012 Tri Glide but chain drive and other bad press pushed me away.
1. What chain drive???? TG's do have a multi-width primary chain but, the drive is belt.
2. What bad press on the TG?
One big + for the TG, it does have a full warranty for the whole unit. Converting your Wing will void the warranty on any failures Honda feels like blaming on the conversion.
3. For your trike choice:
a. IRS
b. Extended wheel base(this makes the ride much smoother for the passenger by moving the rea wheels from under the seat!
c. In-line differential to drive shaft output. CSC has added a transfer case in an attempt to accomplish this but, it's still slightly off-set!
Unforunitly one or more of the above elimiinates Champion and CSC.
However, if you must pick one of those, for me, it would be the CSC.
I have no idea how close a Hannigan dealer is but, you should test ride one prior to making your choice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had mine done. My Installed does both CSC and Champion. He recommended the CSC Kit with the Champion EZ-Steer. He said the champion EZ-Steer comes special made tops that allow you to raise the front back up to level after it is triked. I must say I am impressed with the ride and the handeling. I have never ridden a Trike so I have no comparison other than I like it. I expected it to be a rougher ride. I also expected it to be hard to corner but it just glides around the turns begging me to go faster......My wife loves it and the CSC CobraXL has more luggage space than the champion.
My only reservation with the CSC was the driveshaft issue they have had in the past, but that seems to be resolved by welding it in place as they do on all new kits. Be ready for a 10 week wait....

Thanks
Randall

·
Premium Member
3,719 Posts
Oh boy. You have opened the fabled can of worms. Very few owners I've talked to have owned more than one brand. They are very brand-loyal. They may get a second or even a third trike, but almost always the same brand.

If your a go fast guy and like to set lap times at the dragon's tail, get a one with a solid axel. If you're more concerned about a comfortable ride (your wife rides with you, right?), get an independant suspension.

Champion makes both. A longer wheelbase like a Hannigan or Roadsmith will also give a smoother ride. I went with a Motortrike, probably the most popular brand, definitely here in Texas. Partly because they are among the cheapest to buy, but also because they are so well made and the customer service is outstanding. However, the guy who did my install rides a DFT which he also sells and swears by.

If you can wait, 3 or 4, maybe 5, manufactures will have demos at WingDing.

I had to go thru a couple years of rehab after my accident (hence the "bentwing02") and spent all of that time researching and talking to riders of every brand.

Happy hunting. Ride safe.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the Wife and I shopped this weekend looked at two HD Tri Glides nice looker but from what we saw in the servise department and even told by the tech. brakes are in fact are a issue with the HD. We got to go over a 2012 GL with the CSC and one with a Champion conversion. the wife loves the Champion above all with the Roadsmith tied for the lead. My surgery is next week and I will be off bikes untill late March so We will have it done while I am laid up. Cost as ordered 15K we did go with the new supension and V sway system which according to Champion beats the solid axel in the twisties ?? The good news is I did get a cold but sweet 300+ mile ride on two wheels this weekend gosh I am going to miss two wheels !

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Best of luck on your surgery Bill! Trikes are different, but still fun:D

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
The only thing available to cure the rear brake issues on the Tri-glide is an expensive after market upgrade with larger rotors, better calipers and master cylinder.
Rest up and heal from the surgery.
Congrats on getting a trike.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for your input , I will enjoy teaching Patricia to drive the Trike so I may do as she has done in the past ...read a book and sleep while SHE drives ...LOL

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had my GL1800 triked with a CSC conversion. My biggest concern at the time was the voided warranty. I have had a lot of warranty work done on the GL part and I think my dealer, the biggest one in Oklahoma, has made a big difference. Other than breaking a drive shaft I have had no problem with the CSC. In my case the dealer (Shawnee) has made a big difference.

Looking back though, I would have to give the tri-glide a lot of consideration due to being a factory bike with warranty and more service locations available nation wide.

I cant imagine why Honda doesnt get into this market.

No matter what trike you get, you will have a blast......This a pic of us at Mt. Rushmore on July 4....

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CSC did have a drive shaft issue ,now fixed acording to our dealer , I also thought about the waranty but for 30 K the HD while it looks grand is not with out issues like brakes being a problem it's shorter so it also will not give the ride or the power the Wing has. My local dealer (Honda) is the installer and will honor all warnaty issues ( just will not tell Honda it's a trike )

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm working with the Honda dealer in Neosho, Mo right now, He said if I go through him he will warranty all warranty issues on the trike. He sells CSC, Champion and Motortrike, he sends the bike out to Nutting Custom Trikes in Afton, OK for the Motortrike conversion.

I'm leaning toward Motortrike or Champion and will probably go with the Motortrike Adventure IRS because of Nuttings reputation of being a first class trike builder.

I'm also going to visit with the folks in Shawnee, Ok to see if I can get a better deal since I bought the bike from them, but they are a bit far from me for small warranty issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts