Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Own a 2002 GL1800. Have been trying to find out the name and address of whoever manufactures the internal mirror inside the LH mirror assembly. I am pretty much running into one dead end after another and can't find a way to buy just the mirror and not the complete OEM assembly. Have even struck out on salvage. The mfg part number for the mirror alone is 78393 and the plastic part it attaches to is 78401. I am pretty sure these parts were manufactured separately and probably by one of Honda's outside vendors around Marysville, OH. Need a starting place to contact who actually made the parts for Honda so I can contact them direct. Previously, another good Forum member suggested the Muth mirrors with the LED turn signals and this was a very good suggestion but they cost almost as much as the entire assembly. Thanks for your help and any leads or ideas about how to find the supplier of the mirror.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Previously, another good Forum member suggested the Muth mirrors with the LED turn signals and this was a very good suggestion but they cost almost as much as the entire assembly.
.....but anyone who did buy them now has the original mirrors spare! So ask around on the forums.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct and thank you for the response. I have spoken with the people at Venco who install Muth mirrors and they have put me on a waiting list. At this point, what I really want is a lead for someone who has information about Honda suppliers. My guess is that an owner around the Marysville area may have a friend or contact at Honda who can provide information about suppliers. I just know that there are many guys who would love to know who supplies mirror parts to Honda if we can only get this information. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
How about a local glass shop. They may be able to fabricate one for you from measurements from your bike. I believe they only stick in place.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe and maybe not. Honda has moved their manufacturing from Marysville back to Japan and now the suppliers may be out of contract. They may even have back up supplies they haven't sold. I am also pretty sure that the mirror parts are very similar to what is used in other mirrors (even cars) and I wouldn't be surprised if the parts were interchangeable. Quite frankly, if one of our Gold Wing riders just gave me a contact or starting point, I would do the leg work and investigate how to buy replacement mirror parts. I took the assembly apart myself and it galls me that you can't buy these parts because the parts I am looking for are really easy to replace. To make us buy the entire assembly is an attitude that many manufacturers have and it is up to us to find ways to defeat them. The bottom line is that the color coded assembly costs around $250 and the mirror probably costs $20. I used to have a problem with Cadillac over a 25 cent clip in the window lift assembly and in the end, found out that you could buy the clip at the local glass shop instead of paying Cadillac $150 for their assembly. No one knew how to get the information until I started a campaign to figure it out. I found a plant manager who sent me an envelope of 12 or so and when I showed them to the local glass shop people, they said they had the identical clip under a different number. Cadillac charged me for two window lift assemblies until I solved this problem which benefited a lot of people. As an aside, the local dealership even got involved and I gave them a couple clips to pass on to some of their customers. Sorry for the long winded explanation but I just thought you might be interested in why or how I think we can buy mirrors and not the entire assembly. In the end Cadillac was the big loser because I now own Toyotas! Have a good one today and ride safe. Looks like a nice day to ride in Southwest Florida under clear skies and about 75.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might have received my response to Big Wing. If so, sorry. In any case, you are right, they make mirrors that actually stick on and there are companies that will sell you a replacement that just glues/sticks on over the old cracked mirror. However, this is not that satisfactory a solution, just an option. I talked to another owner who went this way with his replacement and ended up with Muth mirrors instead. I have already bought the assembly and just want to find a way to solve this problem for other owners and maybe myself if I need another mirror. Since I already had the aftermarket Kuryakyn rear turn signal indicators, I bought the replacement assembly (grudgingly). Had I not already had the Kuryakyn option, I would have bought the Muth mirrors that have the turn signal integrated into the mirror just like my car. It is a better solution than Kuryakyn if you want the rear view signal option. Another thing, Muth claims their mirror is superior to the Honda OEM mirror but I have not been able to determine why. The point here is that someone can make and probably does make or can make an aftermarket mirror without the turn signal and it would be a lot less than what Muth charges. I am not putting Muth down, just making a point. Have a good one and ride safe. Should be clear and sunny in Southwest Florida today.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Spare Mirors

Hi ...... I have the Muth mirrors installed in mine. I still have the spare ones left over. you can buy them from me if you want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have already purchased a new assembly but wouldn't mind replacing my old LH mirror for a back up. What condition are they in? How much do you want for the left one? How much for both? Thanks for the response. Forgot something - please check the numbers on the mirror and the bracket that the mirror attaches to. Not sure if the Muth mirrors came with the replacement bracket or just the mirrors. Advise.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Heeeee Mistern Sorry for the late reply (Just got back from Europe). I will make some photos later on. The mirors are new and were changed to the Muth Mirrors on the first day I got my bike. Concerning cost..... let's discuss.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to buy the entire assembly (which cost about $250) when I couldn't find any . I would like to have at least the left one for a backup, How about $25 for the pair and I pay the shipping? I will also take you for a nice boat ride and show you around Sarasota when you visit Florida. Let me know.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome from another Jones-boy! You might try www.directlineparts.com for a bit better deal, but Honda dealers should still be able to find them in their parts system. If it's the visor stay, the p/n is 6267-MCA-000; screw and washer is 93891-05020-08. Visor stay is an 'L' shaped bracket about 2.5" long. There's also another bracket that mounts with the mirror boot but I don't think that's what you need. I'll e-mail you a diagram of the parts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts