Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GL1800 riders only! Have you ever noticed that on your " trunk " mounted lights only the two " outer " ones light up when the brakes are activated ? Well, you can also make the two " inner " running lights lite up also with a little wiring addition. Imagine, all four of your " trunk " running lights glowing when you hit the brakes. Rapier and I will be doing the modification this weekend. This modification is not our brainchild, it was shown on another board. At least one of our members here has already done it, but I have yet to see a post on this board where it was published. I could be wrong at least once, though. We will take pictures and describe the process for those interested. ~ Lee.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Here it is with all 4 trunk lights as brake lights, on the 01 to 05 Honda had it this way, on the 06 and up they only have the outside as brake lights

Attachments

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The outside light is wired with 3 wires, brake, tail and ground, the inside light is identical but is only wired with two wires, ground and tail, the slot for the brake light is empty, you will have to get a pin to go into the empty slot on the inside light socket,
take a jumper wire from the brake light wire on the outside light and connect it to the empty slot on the inside light.
R&R suggestion:
Remove the wire clips from the bulb sockets first

On reinstall, first connect the wire clips to the sockets,
then insert and 1/4 turn the sockets into the "housing"
... worked better for me that way ...

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tks Joe, you saved me some verbiage ! " Rap " and I will post our results, and tribulations tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well the brake light modification is done.......well sort of. Rapier has his finished, but I ran into the infamous " stripped acorn nut " problem. For those of you not familiar with the term it refers to a common problem among " some " Wings when un-doing the three acorn nuts to remove the trunk tail light assembly. The net result is you cannot remove the assembly, which is logical. The right side came off just fine, but I could tell when attempting the left side that the nuts just didn't feel right on the turning. Two of the three managed to come off, but the third ! Damn. That being said, Rapier had the brainstorm idea of using " Tap-in Squeeze Connectors " to tie into the working brake light with a jumper wire over to the running light. Net result: no wire stripping, no soldering, no mess, no sweat. Sweet and easy. The last picture is my bike with only the right side fully illuminated because of the aforementioned issue. We'll get it going though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The saga continues. We last left off here with my left light lens assembly not removable because of the one out of three stripped acorn nuts the hold her in there. Honda of Manassas ordered a new assembly. Well.. ..... They ordered a new one but not the one for my year bike. But wait! there's more. The mech ( Chris , great guy ) air wrenches the nut to heat it up in the hopes that it will heat the stud post and melt the plastic light assembly it is embedded in. Well.... before that heated enough, the inner trunk plastic housing that the acorn nut tightens against heated sooner. Net result: the hole that the skinny post went through onto which the acorn nut tightened against is now the size of a nickle. I asked them, " Can we rig something here ? " There response was - " You don't rig when your bike is under warranty. If it's out of warranty, then you rig ! " " O.K. ! ", I said. Result: They are ordering me a new trunk, or at least the box section of the trunk. I love these guys. I'll finish hooking up the other lights this weekend, forget about it all until they call to tell me that my trunk portion is in. I love these guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts