Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on a belly pan from Wing Stuff on my 1800 tonight. Has anyone had an issue with belly pans rattling? It seems like there is a potential for rattles at each end of the pan and removable front piece.

For those who want to know, it went on really easily in about 20 minutes.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
The belly pan is an item sitting in my " Wingstuff " wish-list. Claims abound from everything from protection to aerodynamics. " Rattle " or " buzzing " has yet to be mentioned, but keep a sheet of those tiny furniture sticky felt pads on hand and let us know if you need to use them. P.S.: did you get the " louvered " model ( $ 59.99 ) ?

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
cal,

Can't speak for the 1800 but I had the same feeling with my 1500. I have mine for about 2 years now & have had no issue. I must admit that I do check it once in a while just to make sure, but all has been well.

I think you will really like it for interstate travel, being past by the long trucks it really does the trick.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be honest, I didn't buy it for for stability on the interstate as I have never felt an issue with passing or being passed by the big rigs. I went on a ride last week. Entering a parking lot, I went down what I thought was a very small drop and found it bigger than I thought. There was a jolt, and a loud thud. When I checked the underside, I found I hit the center stand hinge and did not damage to the bike, but I did take note of the radiator overflow bottle location. Had I hit that, it could have been bad. That was my primary reason for getting the belly pan.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
I do not have one on my 1800. I know a lot of riders have them, like them and have used them for many years without problems. I had one on my 1500 and took it off. I felt like the bike was "hotter" with the pan on when sitting. Seemed like the heat deflected off the pan and back up on to me. JMO

·
Registered
263 Posts
Coolant Reservoir

After about a month of riding the '08 Wing out of the showroom floor I developed a leak from the coolant reserve tank. It's made of plastic. All it is, is a plastic bottle. I would have thought that the $25,000.00 bike should have had a better coolant reserve tank. I still love my Wing but that is one flaw I've identified so far. When I brought it in to get fixed, they had me sign a waiver type sheet that said that if Honda finds anything wrong with the bottle (such as been hit or scraped) that I would have to pay for the repair. I performed a visual inspection, with my bike mechanic, before bringing it in and we found nothing to indicate a hit, bang or scrape.

I picked up the bike in a week because they had to order another plastic bottle. Their mechanic also said I should not have a problem because he sees nothing out of the ordinary. A month later, the shop calls me to say that Honda failed the plastic bottle and if I could just send them a check for $90.00.00, they'd appreciate it. I told him that I'm not paying and I never returned - and never looked back. This shop's personnel did not provide a customer friendly environment anyways. Has anyone else had the same plastic bottle coolant reservoir tank problem?

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Geeze! My next un-necessary purchase was going to be the Kury grips for OEM heated grips with the comfort grip rest. I think I'll can the grips and pan the belly first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry if this is a repeat, to fix the rattle take the front section off and bend more tension into it so it has "spring" tension against the front contact surface and the fasteners. Thast should take care of the rattle. as for the rear the one from wingstuff does not have Louvers so there (again) is no tension in the metal. you may have to put a crease in the center so the sides put pressure on the bike to get the rattle out. Do each a little at a time so you don't over bend.

·
Registered
449 Posts
At the time of purchase, it was made clear to me that if I never added anything else to my 1800 the bellypan was a must. They said to many bad things could happen from road hazards without one. SOLD ME.......

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Sorry if this is a repeat, to fix the rattle take the front section off and bend more tension into it so it has "spring" tension against the front contact surface and the fasteners. Thast should take care of the rattle. as for the rear the one from wingstuff does not have Louvers so there (again) is no tension in the metal. you may have to put a crease in the center so the sides put pressure on the bike to get the rattle out. Do each a little at a time so you don't over bend.
When my new furnance was installed the box that contained the cooling coil was made on site. When the unit was turned on the air pressure sucked in the front sheet metal panel and made a "Pop " as it flexed to the pressure difference. The tech removed the 3 X 2 panel, laid it on the floor and scored an " X " on it. He then put some pressure in the middle to bulge it out and reinstalled it. Effectively, he strengthened the metal sheet. Same principle in corrugated cardboard. I saw the " louvered " model at the top of Wingstuff list. I guess I made my choice. TKS

·
Registered
19 Posts
I purchased a belly pan when I took delivery of my new 08 GL1800 about 2 months ago. I later found out that I could have purchased and installed the belly pan myself a lot cheaper than what Honda did it for but I feel it was a worthwhile purchase. When I did the 1st oil change I was pleasantly surprised at how clean the bottom of the motor was because of the pan. The removal of the front piece was hassle free and I don't have any issues with it rattling or or vibrating in any way.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
I’ve been looking at these as the GWRRA group I ride with all say the belly pan and headlight protectors are the first things to buy. Anyone have experience with the louvered pan? Down here in the south heat is usually more of a problem than anything else. I hope the louvered pan will prevent any problems while still protecting the radiator overflow and oil filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Belly Pan installed and no rattle

I just installed my belly pan on Thursday before an 800 mile weekend ride and it performed silently and perfectly. It went on with ease, but I do recommend the use of gloves. The edges will hurt you!!

I too got the one from Wingstuff.com. It is stainless steel with the louvers. This one is different than the one on YouTube as the holes for mounting aren't open, allowing for them to simply slip in behind the nuts. This one has to go over the studs so you have to pull the cowling or pipe cover back far enough to get the holes all the way over those studs. It wasn't an issue though as it flexed comfortably and the pan slipped right on there.

Don't forget to make sure that your drain hose fits through the hole. I had to loosen and push the pan back about 1/2 an inch or so to get it right. There is room for adjustment.

I can tell you that I'm way more comfortable knowing that the underside tender parts are protected! Next comes the fork brace.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I put one on when I got my new 2010. Wingstuff had a great deal back in Feb. or March so I got one. I was nervous about the plastic tank. No rattles and changing the oil is a breeze and good for that piece of mind knowing there is some protection.

·
Registered
219 Posts
but keep a sheet of those tiny furniture sticky felt pads
That's what i put on my underbelly and it works

1 - 17 of 17 Posts