Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people using for rear shocks. I have a 1991 GL1500. Mine had 416-1633 progressive air shocks. They are seized. (also discontinued)
The replacement is a 412-4223c progressive coil over. They apparently have a long lead time to get.
I can't be the only one with this problem. I believe they fit 1988 thru 2000. Is there anything else available out there?

·
Super Moderator
9,769 Posts
This might not be a permanent solution, but if you check with a trike shop they may have old/used ones laying around that could work until you wait for the replacement shocks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You can match up the length and diameter of that shock and find replacements easy. Shocks are not bike specific. But bikes may be shock specific if you know what I mean. I bet you can go to any Dealer and look at bikes old and new and find a model that has shocks to fit your bike. I've done this for other type items. Like shift levers. I wanted one that was longer than the one I had that came stock. Took my ruler and investigated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input! I finally landed a set of progressive 412-4223c coil over from Saber Cycle. They happened to have two on the self.( Lead time for progressive to ship to suppliers was 8-27-20.) Hopefully I will be installing and adjusting these by the weekend. Thanks again

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the input! I finally landed a set of progressive 412-4223c coil over from Saber Cycle. They happened to have two on the self.( Lead time for progressive to ship to suppliers was 8-27-20.) Hopefully I will be installing and adjusting these by the weekend. Thanks again

Good find, I’ve used Saber Cycle many times before. I bet you like the shock performance.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
The showa stock shocks (single) are all over eBay if you with to go with one. The air bladder is also available. Or you can go with the Valkyrie showa air over coil units as a pair. Progressives are expensive and the 412 or 416 will work but the OEM Valkyrie may be a better choice as they couple directly with the onboard air compressor unit with a hose kit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I purchased a parts bike, a GL1500, and i removed the stock coil over shock from it, and replaced my air shock with it.
I dont like the idea of only one side of the swing arm adjusting my ride, and might be why goldwings eat rear tires
( that and the 1000 pounds thing )
I love it, not to firm, great with a passenger, and just feels more stable all around.
that plus i dark sided.....most stable bike i ever rode now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts