Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspencade
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 1993 GoldWing. The odometer is showing just over 21000km on the odometer. But I’m seriously doubting that now. The bike has been sitting for at least 5 years.
I’m in search of a known mechanic that someone uses in the Toronto area. Hopefully someone can help me out.
Thank You
Mark

·
Administrator
29,401 Posts
It seems there are 2 types of Wings in the world.....the ones with such low mileage that it doesn't appear to be correct, or the ones with so many miles that you wonder who could have ridden them all. As far as mechanics, there are a good deal of them that won't work on a Wing of that age, hopefully you can find one.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspencade
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems there are 2 types of Wings in the world.....the ones with such low mileage that it doesn't appear to be correct, or the ones with so many miles that you wonder who could have ridden them all. As far as mechanics, there are a good deal of them that won't work on a Wing of that age, hopefully you can find one.
What is with motorcycle mechanics?
Do they only like working on a bike that they won’t get their hands dirty. Why do they not like working on older bikes?

·
Administrator
29,401 Posts
What is with motorcycle mechanics?
Do they only like working on a bike that they won’t get their hands dirty. Why do they not like working on older bikes?
Truthfully, I believe there are several things at play in those decisions. 1) Parts are generally needed to be ordered, very few are in stock at dealerships. So until they get the bike sorted, and parts ordered, I think they don't want to tie up shop space. 2) The older bikes (the 1500 like you and I have) are totally different animals then the newer machines. Hence you aren't going to be able to plug in a diagnostic tool, or look at flashing codes to determine what might be happening (this is where you need old time mechanics). 3) Because the older mechanics are retiring, the newer trained mechanics may not possess the skills needed to troubleshoot the older bikes. 4) When taking apart the older Wings they can be susceptible to breakage and or arise of unearthing items that may now have to be dealt with (I know this just happened to me last weekend working on a 2003 1800, I ended up doing a bit more than anticipated because of what I found) 5) This last statement is a broad sweep with a wide brush, but is somewhat based in fact from my experience. There is a fairly sizable amount of Wing owners that are inherently frugal (cheapskates) that will balk at what a shop charges for an hourly rate, so it is my take that the shops would prefer to dodge that bullet entirely and just work on newer equipment.

In summation the advice I always give to someone who is purchasing an older Wing is this. "If you have mechanical skills/tools to perform much of your own work then it is a good bet, also be sure to invest in some type of shop manual, Honda, Clymers, or Haynes."

Having said all of the above, it is possible that you may find a shop that will work on the bike, we had one in PA when I lived there, but out here in AZ. I am not certain that exists, so I do my own wrenching.

Hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dealers don't like to repair bikes over 10 years old and now even Harley dealers are starting to follow that paradigm.
I find it is easier to find a motorcycle repair shop that specializes in Gold WIngs, but those are hard to find. Here in the states I avoid repair shops that specialize in American brands, they lack knowledge in Japanese motorcycles. Search for repair shops that specialize in Japanese bikes.
I did a quick search in the Toronto area and found Hamilton Motorcycle Limited in Hamilton?

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspencade
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealers don't like to repair bikes over 10 years old and now even Harley dealers are starting to follow that paradigm.
I find it is easier to find a motorcycle repair shop that specializes in Gold WIngs, but those are hard to find. Here in the states I avoid repair shops that specialize in American brands, they lack knowledge in Japanese motorcycles. Search for repair shops that specialize in Japanese bikes.
I did a quick search in the Toronto area and found Hamilton Motorcycle Limited in Hamilton?
WOW thank you very much 🙏🙏

1 - 7 of 7 Posts