Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips on installing the exhaust on a 1996 GL1500? I've installed new mufflers, collector box, gaskets, manifold rings etc. It still sounds a little loud, and possibly coming from where the mufflers attach to the collector or the collecter to the manifolds. I can't feel any leak by holding my hand around where I can reach (without burning myself). It just doesn't sound right to me, maybe my imagination. Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not sure how much help I can be; I took my exhaust off completely to replace a shift shaft seal..I painted it with ceramic type paint, I broke a couple of the cover bolts & the clamp bolts, so I gotta get them out before I start the refit. If your clamps are in good shape & the gaskets are on right..they should tighten up OK. I've tried just about everything to get the broken bolts out of my clamps..no love yet!..LOL
I don't want to go to Mother Honda..those clamps are $20 a crack up here!:eek: That = about $100 with taxes.. Bolts extra..of coarse!:rolleyes::rolleyes: Good luck..wish I could have told you something different.:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Broken bolts are a bear!! I've had luck drilling the broken bolt and using an easy out with heat. The catch is you need more heat than a propane torch. I bought a little MAPP and Oxygen set from Lowe's and it worked good. If you mess up the threads you can always just use a nut on the backside. I used stainless steel bolts I got from a fastener supply house. $5.00 for all the bolts and nuts. Good luck!

·
Registered
470 Posts
You are right about the correct heat..some things you can try to heat ALL day with propane..you won't get very far:(.

I was just thinking, when I pulled my 1500's exhaust..I found more than one copper ring gasket in some of the ports...they were compacted in there :eek:
Had to dig them out with a pick!!:eek: They are VERY soft and I can see how they would not be seen if someone over torqued the nuts..the book says only 7 ft. lbs!!!! It's very easy to over do that..:eek:
Don't know if that might be what's going with yours :confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
I doubt he will see your response, he hasn't been on sense last September.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks!:) I was not paying attention..apparently...:eek: Hope it worked out for him anyway...:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts