Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a long road trip this past weekend, I discovered that my cruise control has decided to flake out. The Cruise Control light will display when I turn on the cruise control. However, the Cruise On light does not display, nor does the cruise engage when attempting to set the cruise. After several attempts, the cruise will engage and the Cruise On light will display. I am usually more successful using the "Resume" to re-engage the cruise, but that also does not work consistently.

Anyone had any prior experience with this and am I in for replacing the entire cruise control module?

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
Sometimes the cruse control buttons become dirty and the contacts inside don't make constant contact. Try using compressed air (like you use to clean computer keyboards). Spray it into and around all the buttons and see it makes a difference. If it is the problem, it's a lot cheaper fix that replacing the cruse control module.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hey fordman, try holding your clutch lever away from the handlebars when you engage the cruise control. we found the cruise control disengaging switch to be the culprit a lot of times. it is located under the clutch lever mounting bracket an usually emits a click noise when the lever is pulled or pushed. frank

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Frank (2580), you nailed it! Thanks for the tip, the clutch lever is the culprit. There is just enough play in it to engage / disengage that cutoff switch. Thanks again, this information was incredibly helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is doing the same. (1993, 1500) Took the lever off and cleaned and greased the o-ring. This helped for about a month. Is the next step replacing the clutch lever?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
You could try a good contact cleaner like LST or similar

Reactions: Insane_Crew

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi dave, the micro switch under the clutch lever is about $20.00. a cheap fix. your honda dealer can provide it. good luck. frank

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, in taking it apart to do just that, i noticed how wore out the pushrod end piece was. . The dam little marshmallow looking thing costs $12. Outrageous. Thanks for getting me looking in the right direction

·
Registered
248 Posts

Well, now I know what the first thing I will check on my GL1500 is... since my cruise control has decided to become flaky over the winter. Sometimes it goes on, sometimes it doesn't...

·
Registered
248 Posts

Well, now I know what the first thing I will check on my GL1500 is... since my cruise control has decided to become flaky over the winter. Sometimes it goes on, sometimes it doesn't...
Huh. Yup, when it won't engage, pushing forward on the clutch lever lets the cruise control engage.

Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Reactions: fossil92
1 - 14 of 14 Posts