Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you own a GL-1500 built in 1996 to 2000 you have one of the Chinese alternators that people have been having problems with or if you have a 1988 to 1995 Wing and your charging system went bad, as mine recently did, you may wish to think about replacing it with the high output charging system from Compufire. When the alternator on my 1993 GL-1500 went bad, I didn't want a new Honda one and I really didn't want to rebuild the original and so I went with the upgrade. Best thing I ever did for my Wing and it can run the auxillary lights without dimming down the headlights.
Every well dressed over lit GL-1500 can benefit from this upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Stock OEM alternators on the GL1500 were always underpowered. Anyone who added additional lighting had to be careful not to overpower it. Compufire was and is the popular replacement for the stock OEM.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Stock OEM alternators on the GL1500 were always underpowered. Anyone who added additional lighting had to be careful not to overpower it. Compufire was and is the popular replacement for the stock OEM.
If you have extra lights or heated clothing you need more power that the OEM alternator can produce.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted this topic because there are a lot of 'Newbies' to the GL-1500 and they will eventually have the charging system go bad. I upgraded to the Compufire because it was also a better value than buying the OEM and provided more power should I put more lights on the bike.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good post trike lady. I actually have a friend that's seriously looking at 1500, so I told him about the alternator. It's on his to do list when he buys the bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I posted this topic because there are a lot of 'Newbies' to the GL-1500 and they will eventually have the charging system go bad. I upgraded to the Compufire because it was also a better value than buying the OEM and provided more power should I put more lights on the bike.
How do I know what alternator I have on my 2000 1500SE just by looking at it? Any marking on the alternator that differentiates the original OEM unit from the upgrade? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How do I know what alternator I have on my 2000 1500SE just by looking at it? Any marking on the alternator that differentiates the original OEM unit from the upgrade? Thanks.
Yes the original GL-1500 alternator will say LR140-708 Hitachi, Ltd. on a small tag and will have a small diode pack on the back with a green wire attached. The Compufire unit will look like the one in at attached picture. They are modified Delco Remy automobile alternators.
Service info link http://www.scribd.com/doc/23641349/S...co-Remy-CS-130

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts