Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even with the motorcycle completely off, key out, random sounds from the cassette deck trying to eject something (although no tape is in there). Has anyone experienced this and better yet, resolved it? I have been trying quite a few rule outs but so far to no avail. Thanks much,

Matthew

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
If I am remembering my 1500 correctly,. the tape deck would run the tape both directions to make sure no slack before parking the head..........
occasionnally I ran a tape cleaner through it....... seemed to keep it happy...... I always just had a cassette adapter in it to plug into a mp3 player
it was still working when I trader her off in 2015 for my current wing....... my 1500 was a '98se............. but mine still had the factory cover for the radio controls...... never see too many of those on the bikes

·
Registered
21 Posts
Even with the motorcycle completely off, key out, random sounds from the cassette deck trying to eject something (although no tape is in there). Has anyone experienced this and better yet, resolved it? I have been trying quite a few rule outs but so far to no avail. Thanks much,

Matthew
I have had the eject button stick down on mine. I cleaned very carefully around the button with anything that is small enough to fit in the opening around the button and it works well now. Even a soft cloth just wiping off the key pad may help.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hey Matthew - When you start your bike power is initially applied to the cassette player to test for a previously loaded tape. If your main drive belt is stretched, slipping or broken from age - the drive pulley sensor sees no spinning movement and assumes the tape is at the end of it's travel. The player logic will then try to reverse the tape a couple of times and again with no movement sensed in either direction - the player will try to now eject the nonexistent tape. This is all the clicking and clacking you're hearing.

Replace the main drive belt (Ebay Generic Assortment Pack), clean the read-head with a "Q Tip" using alcohol and you'll be in business again with Jim Morrison and the "Doors" singing Light My Fire as you hit the road.....

Good Luck and Ride Safe - Michael

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hey Matthew - One other thought - If your cassette player is alive with the key OFF there is a micro switch mounted along the side of the tape loading ramp that may be stuck. This micro-switch should only be closed and power applied to the drive motor when a cassette tape has been inserted.

Good Luck and Ride Safe - Michael

1 - 6 of 6 Posts