Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening. I have a 1996 GL1500SE with some carb problems. The bike sat for 3 years. I pulled the carbs (per Jim Martino's post, great help) and cleaned them. It will start and run erratically and only with the choke all the way on. Above 4,000 RPM it runs without the choke. If you let the RPM's drop without the choke on the engine will die. Even with the choke on it will surge between 800 and 3000 rpm (that's with the idle set up all the way). When you set the idle lower, but high enough so it won't die, it still surges. I've definitly missed something. I'm taking them back off tomorrow. Any ideas about what I should look for would be greatly appreciated!

Added: Does anyone know where to find a diagram for the vac lines? My manual doesn't show. thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Either a clogged jet or a vacuum line not connected to the right place. The best place for vacuum line routing is in the OEM manual especially in the fuel section. Other than that, I am not sure where else you would look. Since you just rebuilt the carbs, you of course set all the idle screws to their presets as recommended in the manual right? Perhaps one of the linkages is jammed but again, your guess is as good as mine. When you take them back out, follow Jims pages step by step and if that is all correct then it has to be a vacuum line. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts