Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a general question re handlebars. I have a '87 Aspencade and this is my 2nd season with it. Everything is good except that I get a sharp pain in my left shoulder after a very short time riding. The seat is as far forward as it will go but my arms seem to be stretched almost straight. My arms don't seem to be too high.

Has anyone tried handlebars (or risers) other than the stock buckhorn ones for this bike? Any information would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome to the forum stewmeister. I've searched and found nothing that fits a 1200 for risers, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, just I missed 'em. Pretty sure the early 1200's all had std 7/8" bars but the later ones were beefier, but not sure exactly how they were stronger. The SE-i models had adjustable bars and that may work for you but you'd have to locate a set as well as the necessary triple clamp hardware to convert yours. There's been some discussion of this on Steve Saunders web page. The simplest would be to pick out a set of bars that fit you better and would just bolt into the existing clamps/riser set, but depending on heght and pullback you could run into cable and hose issues. If you know a good machinist, he could fab a set of risers that would work, but then the cable and hose thing is still there; there's some room for pullback and height but it's limited.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can find. I would prefer the risers if I can find some to fit.

Welcome to the forum stewmeister. I've searched and found nothing that fits a 1200 for risers, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, just I missed 'em. Pretty sure the early 1200's all had std 7/8" bars but the later ones were beefier, but not sure exactly how they were stronger. The SE-i models had adjustable bars and that may work for you but you'd have to locate a set as well as the necessary triple clamp hardware to convert yours. There's been some discussion of this on Steve Saunders web page. The simplest would be to pick out a set of bars that fit you better and would just bolt into the existing clamps/riser set, but depending on heght and pullback you could run into cable and hose issues. If you know a good machinist, he could fab a set of risers that would work, but then the cable and hose thing is still there; there's some room for pullback and height but it's limited.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
take the screws out the sides of the handle bar button trim piece, take an allen wrench and unloosen the four bolts on the handle bar clamp. tilt the bars back until they are comfortable for you and reassemble

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hi Stew,
I am a machinist so if you give me specs or a drawing I can make what ever you need!!

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
Hi Stew,
I am a machinist so if you give me specs or a drawing I can make what ever you need!!
so you can make me some handle bars about a half inch lower and with the bar ends that turn in less

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
For handle bars you would have to defer to a pipe bender!! I do not do handle bars. I am a CNC machinist /programer.I should have been specific and said i could make the risers.Sorry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts