Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1985 GL 1200 and she runs and rides great but I have a question about the front-end suspension. When I stop the front-end dips down may be 2 – 3 inches. When I pull out the front-end rises 2 – 3 inches. When I put her on the side stand she pushes up 3 – 4 incles and when I get off she pushes another 4+ inches. Is this normal for a GL 1200? Some additional facts – using the compressor on her I have the front and rear set at the first recommended bar.

Thanks for your help

Ron

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
may be time to replace fork springs and oil. i did my rear suspension last week and may start on the front if its not too hot this week

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
also what setting is the tract on the lower of the forks set at? the higher it is set the less dive the front will have

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
On my 1200 I replaced the front springs with Progressives at ust under 60k. Best thing I ever did. Kept the TRAC set on 4 when loaded for touring.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
On my 1200 I replaced the front springs with Progressives at ust under 60k. Best thing I ever did. Kept the TRAC set on 4 when loaded for touring.
i am going to install the progressive front springs too but even with the stock springs i've never added air to the front suspension

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does your react like mine? "I just got a 1985 GL 1200 and she runs and rides great but I have a question about the front-end suspension. When I stop the front-end dips down may be 2 – 3 inches. When I pull out the front-end rises 2 – 3 inches. When I put her on the side stand she pushes up 3 – 4 incles and when I get off she pushes another 4+ inches. Is this normal for a GL 1200? Some additional facts – using the compressor on her I have the front and rear set at the first recommended bar."

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
maybe budoka can answer that for you. i replaced my rear shocks with conventional spring shocks, no air. my compressor stopped working. hopefully the progressive front springs will be heavy duty enough that i don't need air or i'll have to r/r the compressor which i'm not ready to do

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ron I have an 85 Ltd have not noticed that much dip. I am short and run no air in the front or back when I ride alone. I did change the fork setting to the #4. I did have some front trouble that I want to pass along. I had a slight slow speed wabble and I sure didn't like it. It was only at start and stop. I checked everything fooled around with air pressure and took off rotor covers. When I found the problem it was loose bolts in the fork brace. I have tighted them up a couple of times now and it sure does make a lot more stable ride. Made me feel better too!!!!!
Ron (also)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the feedback - I have already had my front tire off to replace the speedo gear so it is not my frontend. My next step is to change the oil. What I have found out is the anti-dive setings have more effect on the frontend than the air. If you put 3 bars of air in the fronend and setting of 1 the frontend recoils up .5 incles more than if you had a setting of 4 and no air. If I add air and setting of 4 I get a .75 incles less recoil. I think the oil makes the difference. So my next step is Amsoil Shock Therpy (#10 Weight) in the front forks. Again tanks for the feedback

Ron (too)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts