Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To start, I'm not new to bikes or working on them but am new to goldwings. Ok, I've been through the carbs, replaced the fuel filter, drained all the old gas, put in almost 6 gallons of 93 oct and a bottle of carb cleaner additive. Currently the exhaust and air box/ filter are stock and in good shape but the engine lopes at 1000 rpm. Is that normal? I know it's a completely different bike but I had a 2000 Kawi ZX12r which loped but it had aftermarket exhaust and power commander on it and was told "that's just what it does". Also there's a ticking from the left side valve cover, or at least that's what it sounds like, increases with rpm's. I know there's hydraulically adjustable valves but is it possible one could be stuck? How do they work, can they stick? So far these are the only problems I'm having, if some one could help me or tell me I'm crazy then I'll be ok. Thanks in advance.:confused: Also I've ridden about 20 miles since I've done all the above work.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
yes the lifter can stick and there is a way to adjust it, its in the shop manual. did you change the fuel filter and drain the crankcase breather

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carb issue

I did replace the fuel filter but did not do anything with the crankcase breather. I downloaded the shop manual from goldwingdocs so I'll check the breather and consult the manual on the valve adjuster tonight. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
carbs

Ok, I've checked the valve adjusters per the manual and everything looks to be within spec. I made sure the breather tank was empty, I tightened all the exhaust bolts to make sure I wasn't hearing a leak from the gasket at the pipe. I still hear a ticking but can't for the life of me figure out what it is. I even put a screwdriver to my ear and touched different parts of the engine and carbs and couldn't find the source, I hear it in the exhaust but I hear it near the engine more. Like I may have mentioned before the ticking follows engine rpm so it's in some way linked to something internal in some fashion. Rideability is great, I'm just concerned about the noise that I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be making. If anyone else has any more thoughts I'm definitely open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi hank, a lot of times the lifters get a small amount of dirt in them or the oil reserve just beside them. as per the manual, remove the lifter block an lifters from the motor. us an aerosol cleaner such as carb or brake spray an spray out each lifter through the oil pressure holes along with the resreve galleys, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE LIFTERS SHUT. If this does't quit things it may be a wrist pin. when you rev the motor an let off, a wrist pin noise will usually triple in sound for a second or so. good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your carbs probably need synced to get rid of the loping at idle. And maybe the idle speed increased just a tad. Can not help on the lifter noise or what ever, mine are mechanical, not hydraulic.

You might check rotating stuff like the cams and belts just to make sure you ain't got one going bad.
And how old are your belts? If you just bought the bike recently and did not see the PO change them, or haven't changed them since you got the bike, replace the belts. They can go with out any indication that they are bad. And they will take other stuff with them when they go, like valves.:eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with 78AZwing, sync the carbs. Tick tick noise on the left side of my 821100 is an echo from the fuel pump on the right, do I care about it, not yet

·
Registered
108 Posts
A exhaust leak at the header will give you a ticking sound! Just something else you might want to check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts