Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I'm a newbie to these forums and Goldwing ownership. Bought an 86 Aspencade back on December 23rd, it was running fine for about 600 miles, but the day before yesterday started running rough. Initially there was a small amount of back firing, then on the odd occassion was hard to start when warm. Then the other day dropped down to 3 cylinders. Initially I replaced all 4 spark plugs, have great spark, so the fault does not appear electrical. Then with the help of a friend, we pulled the carbs out and they were all clean inside (actually a lot cleaner than I expected that would be), although the air filter needs replacing (have ordered another one from eBay)
So upon getting it all back together, it still ran the same, but then started flooding fuel out from the canister (that thing just to the rear of the fuel pump). We've tripple checked all the vacuum routing, everything appears to be correct.
It also appears to be dumping a lot of unburnt fuel into the exhaust which explains the back firing.
Any thoughts?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just solved that problem on my 1100. Pulled the carbs and reset the float valves. Mine were way off and resetting them sure made it better.

Also, when parked, make sure you shut off the pet cock. With four carbs one tends to always leak, stick, etc. something about the float valves being on an angle or some such drivel. Anyway, if I shut the pet cock off, it did fine, until the weather went real cold and they stuck again. Anyway, look into that first.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If you narrow it down to a float probem, I'd replace them all. After 25 years it would be a good idea, especially since you have them apart anyway. Something else I recall about my 1200. they had those notorious flatslide carbs that would stick something awful. Most of us used Bardahl Injectorkleen about every 3-4 tanks of fuel...no more stuck slides.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts