Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a way to adjust the timing other then the belts on my bike . i replaced the heads after losing a timing belt and found out that i was 1 tooth off and it runs better now then when i first got it but, it hesitates when i start it like the timing is off but i dont even know where to look on this thing to finish the job(if it was only a v8 haha) if there is a way could someone please help me. thank you OGRE

·
Registered
15 Posts
No timing adjustment on 1100s. Are the valve clearances correct? The heads were from another 1100? Offhand, I would guess a carb issue? Just my guess.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If the belts are set correctly you can try to advance the timing a little by turning the plate that holds the points to the right (clockwise) about 1mm or so. This has nothing to do with hesitation when starting. If you are using a K&N air filter the bike is running lean and if you have after-market exhaust it's even more lean. When the engine is cold, you should be able to pull out the choke for 5-10 seconds when starting, push it back in and the bike will continue running, slightly at the lower rpm till it gets fully warm.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a GL1800. I was wondering why my manual did not say at what mileage to change the timing belt. It only says to check the valve clearance at (off the top of my head) 32,000 miles.

Am I correct at intepreting the previous post for the gl1100, that says there is no timimg belt worries just valve clearance checks? I am guessing that the same applies for the 1800 since there is no mention of it (timing belt) in the manual.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Com K,
The manual that you get with the bike should be labeled "GL Service Manual for dumb fks" written in China. Try to search for a Honda Service Manual or get friendly with someone at the dealer in the service dept. and slip them a 20 with some donuts and a bottle of Jack, on Friday only, and all the answers will flow....
On a new 1800 you can dump a 100K of miles and the belt will still be good but a gl1100, where you can get antique license plates, it becomes like arthritis.
Just to give you an example of what is going on with these older engines: I have a '79 engine with low miles in a '78 and when it was cold i decided to redo my front brakes, tire, etc., and I changed the oil by putting this top of the line LiquiMoly 10W-40 that worsk wonders on Mercedes, BMW, Nazi military vehicles and so on. Got the backfire on the right side and I did absolutely everything to take care of it and it ended up that the German oil did not agree with Misses valves, or valve guides. Long story short, different apples...But the donuts and Jack can get you just about anything. Cops love it too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a GL1800. I was wondering why my manual did not say at what mileage to change the timing belt. It only says to check the valve clearance at (off the top of my head) 32,000 miles.

From what I'e heard the 1800's don't have a belt they have a chain for timing the cams. If true this may explain why there is more noise from the front of the engine than my 1500. Forgot to ask my mech. about it yesterday after getting my prov. inspection done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts