Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,havent bought the bike yet,but just after a few tips,ie how much i should be paying??? ive looked at an s reg gl1100,its fitted with a stainless exhaust ,but its been garaged for the last 7 years.what sort pof price should i offer??? the guy wont give me a price but wants me to offer him a price.its very clean n tidy though.any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Number 1, is the bike in running condition (can it be started)? Garaged for 7 years I'd say no so... #2, when was the last time it was operated? #3 has it been properly stored (elevated, with fresh oil and fluids when put away etc)? #4 chances are it will need new filters, coolant, oil, tyres, rear dif fluid, fork oil, brake fluid even if they were fresh 7 years ago. Brake parts, fork seals, hoses, cables, anything rubber (carb boots etc) are suspect after sitting that long...$$ and availability could be an issue. Blue book in Montana shows "clean" (and that's assuming it is runable as is) $2200. Personally, I wouldn't go higher than $1500 if that. Expect the unexpected if the bike is in less than fantastic shape to make it streetable.
Case in point, my b-in-law just bought a '97 VTR1000 in solid running shape, no damage low mileage for $2500 Cdn and that's a 15 year newer machine. No it's not a Wing it's a sport bike, but...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with Budoka.If it hasn't been run in 7 years you'll be opening a big can of worms.

I'd also steer clear of anyone who wants you to make an offer.

There are plenty of Goldwings for sale out there that are used on a daily basis and you have a pretty good idea of what you are getting.JMO

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
KBB suggests retail $1700.00. Trade in $1110 and that is for a good condition 1980.
Check their website for yourself and then make an offer. http://www.kbb.com/

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Lots of good info but you need to review your abilities, extra cash and willingness to do the work yourself. (If you can afford someone else to do the work, go invest in a newer bike instead of a mechanic)

Budoka gave you a great list to work from.

Write down what you are willing to invest on this bike. ______________
(keep a little extra in reserve for surprises)
Subtract what the above items will cost. _____________
What is left is what you are willing to pay the seller. ________________

If the number end up close to zero, then you need to walk away.

If it leaves only a few hundred bucks (but not more than book price), show the seller your worksheet and be honest. "I like the bike, I would like to see it put back in good condition but it needs work as it has sit for so long. I will have to do the labor myself but willing to do so."
Here is what it will cost for the items I am aware of. And no doubt there will be some other things along the way.

If he is a motivated seller, he may look at how much muscle and money it will take and realize it best to go ahead and sell before it gets worse.

If he is not motivated to sell, he will blow you off and wait for someone less informed.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
take a look on craigslist.org for other wings in your area

1 - 6 of 6 Posts