Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have your attention...:p How many of you have a wife or girlfriend who would rather have her own bike, then ride with you on your wing?

·
Registered
98 Posts
10 years ago my Wife and I were looking to buy a larger bike when I found one (not a Gold WIng), she said..."But I'd rather have my own bike. So we bought her a Honda Reflex scooter and a Kawasaki Vulcan for me. We have since upgraded her to a Suzuki Bergman 400 and me a 2010 Gold Wing. She does ride with me sometimes.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They both would rather ride with me than have their own bike .
Good One!:D My wife and each had a bike back in the early 2000's. I had a 2003 V-Star 1100, and she had a 2008 Honda Spirit. We had to sell those a few years ago, and now I have the 85 wing, and she rides with me. But she wants her own bike when we have the money. She likes the 2012 Shadow Phantom.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My wife rode on the back of my first bike for about a week before she said she wanted to drive, after a short training time she entered a DMV rider edge program and got her own license. After 2 of her own bikes, her back conditions wouldn't let her handle her own so she rides on the back of "our" 2008 Goldwing now.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
sandee is the closest woman you might call my girl friend. she would rather ride her own wing than to be on mine and with my weak knees i have no complaints about it. when i got my 1200 wing back in '07 and rode over to her house to show her the first question she asked was " where's mine?"

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Good One!:D My wife and each had a bike back in the early 2000's. I had a 2003 V-Star 1100, and she had a 2008 Honda Spirit. We had to sell those a few years ago, and now I have the 85 wing, and she rides with me. But she wants her own bike when we have the money. She likes the 2012 Shadow Phantom.
I have a 2003 V-star 1100 also.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Debbie is the closest woman that you can call my girl friend and she is also my wife of 29 years this year. About 28 years ago, Deb and I lived in San Antonio and for my birthday we both got road bikes (bicycles) and started to ride down the access road adjacent to Loop 410 that goes around the city. Deb was riding in front and something spooked her like maybe a car or something as I watched her turn her front wheel into the curb and did a high side over the bike hitting her head. Back then we didn't wear helmets. She had hit her head quite hard and was shaking with convulsions and was incoherent. Fortunately we were across the freeway from the hospital and so many doctors drove these streets that in a few minutes doctors were all over her. She had a concussion and no injuries however she won't get back on a bicycle again. Several years ago I thought about getting her a small motor scooter so we could ride together on rural back roads. She said she didn't want one and was ok just riding with me. So, I've decided to honor her comfort level or should I say discomfort with riding her own ride. Debbie is happy riding with me and Danny is happy that Debbie is happy riding pillion.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
In 91ty my first road bike was a 1981 Virago 750, once I go my indorcement a friend had his 85 Aspencade for sale which we bought. I offered Betty the 750 if she wanted to learn to ride. She took it down the road when she got back she said sell it, I'd rather ride with you. The rest is history.
So No she don't want her own bike.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
What were we thinking way back then, bicycling, roller skating, skateboards, all without helmets and body armor?
Like Forest Gump says: stupid is as stupid does. You're right, what were we thinking? Dummy state.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
I like to see my family riding and enjoying their self. But riding a bike by herself is not what Vanessa wants. She just wants to be with me. So we are both happy. I have to take it a bit easier sometime for Vanessa comfort level. Eric

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
My gf will ride with me if the ride is no more than 40 miles.

One trip to Phoenix and back was all the motorcycle travel adventure she will ever need. She does eye ball my scooter and does mention every once in awhile a very small desire to learn to ride it. I always suggest that she enroll in the Motorcycle Endorsement / Safety Class. Our relationship is worth that price of admission.... I am not the best teacher.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
I like to see my family riding and enjoying their self. But riding a bike by herself is not what Vanessa wants. She just wants to be with me. So we are both happy. I have to take it a bit easier sometime for Vanessa comfort level. Eric
jaNICE always refers to the art of riding pillion as "My Zen Time". Riding her own would be the last thing she would do (next to Bull Riding of course).

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Tammy is very happy just being the co-pilot
What were we thinking way back then, bicycling, roller skating, skateboards, all without helmets and body armor?
I won't get into the whole story, but around 25years ago I was on my old 10 speed. I hit a bump and the front rim twisted and needless to say over I went. My head smashed the concrete :eek: but to damage but a big gash. From that point on I wore a helmet, even before they became popular.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Well she has her own, but is she's on the back of mine way more than she is her own. So this year I'm going to get her to ride the wing so we can get rid of one bike. She's a bit leery of the size but once she gets it moving she'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
On occasion, my daughters ride with me but neither one wants any part of driving. So I'm always the designated driver.. They prefer to sit on the back and look at the surroundings or just sleep..

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
When my wife used to ride she always rode with me. She was able to enjoy the ride and take pictures. A buddy of mine asked his wife if she would learn to ride and ride her own bike. They still had children at home, and his thought was if they were both on 1 bike and something happened the kids might be left without parents. As rode a Honda CB500 if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Cindy has always been pillion. About 25 years ago, she thought she might like her own scoot, when we met up with a couple on his and her Wings: him a 1200 Aspy and her a 650 Silverwing Interstate. I bought a Honda Twinstar to learn on and she rode it about 3 times and that was it; not for her, she prefers to be on the back with a book or her Kindle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts