Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buying used 2013 wing with abs with very low miles looking for pro and cons information on recalls etc. I have been riding v twins for last 15 years love the way the wing handles at highway speeds looking for sound advice I could purchase a left over 16 basic model for a few thousand more.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
buying used 2013 wing with abs with very low miles looking for pro and cons information on recalls etc. I have been riding v twins for last 15 years love the way the wing handles at highway speeds looking for sound advice I could purchase a left over 16 basic model for a few thousand more.
Don't know of any recalls for the level 1-3 but there is a recall on the level 4 airbag model. It has the same make airbag as the cars.
Honda made changes to the transmission on the 14 - 17. The earlier years had issues with the shifting. I had an 06 with 220,000 miles on it and now have a 17 with 12,000 miles on it and think the 06 was better shifting than the 17. Seem to have more missed shifts on the 17 and neutral can be a pain to get into.

Asfar as other advice. A gl1800 that has been well maintained and not abused will out last many riders. It is not uncommon the hear ofgoldwings with 100s of thousands of miles on them still going strong.

My 2006 level3 had 220,000 miles on it when it was totaled and I had just finished an 8000 mile trip thru NE Canada on some very
bad roads. And I would have had no hesitation heading out on another trip after doing the normal maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
28,254 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from another Pa. guy. Sage advice giving by my fellow Keystoner. I am quite certain if eddie's bike had not been totaled he would still be adding the miles on it.

I will leave you with this.......I subscribe to a theory that the right motorcycle will sing the "Ride Me" song to you if you listen closely. Best of luck in the decision process.

Reactions: dwade, Dva and Jinx

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from NE Pa. Like Fossil said it will "sing" to you and you will know. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Va as well.....Chesterfield that is.....

Either one will suffice....it’s entirely your call!

·
Super Moderator
14,332 Posts
All I can add is to welcome you from Mississippi. My 2010 has been a reliable ride for 134,000 miles so far. I would get the fastest color.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about recalls. Any Honda dealer MUST accomplish them at any time.

If you can get a new one for a few dollars more you should consider it. You would get a clean three year warranty which can be extended for a fee. Not suggesting you would need it but nice piece of mind. Just make sure the dealer is selling it as new. Some less than honest dealers have been known to sell new bikes to themselves to claim dealer incentives and remove from their floor plan financing.

Things about used to think about. Used price is really not that much inflated for the upper end bike over a basic so if you want ABS or airbag you can watch used markets. Dealers are stuck charging more for these because they pay more. On the other hand, many current owners know what they pay for aftermarket parts while as a buyer some of these parts may bring no value to you. I like to see a good maintenance history on a used bike and other evidence that the bike has been respected and taken care of.

Reactions: dwade

·
Registered
232 Posts
There was a break recall. Make sure that was done. I would go with the 2013. You get ABS and the Nav system. The Nav is not the most convenient to use, but once you get used to it, it is fine. The ABS is the big thing over the 16 basic model.

I have a 2012 and love it!! 56K and no problems at all. It has been coast to coast a bunch of times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for sound advice and the welcome to the site. I appreciate it. I test rode the13 yesterday and they do sing to you, I didn’t want to get off , I’m currently on a 17 Roadmaster and sorry to say I get very uncomfortable after about an hour and I’m not happy with the feel at higher highway speeds 6th gear screams. Just getting older I guess lol.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from NE Indiana. Enjoy whichever wing you buy. My 89 hasn't had the best of care (I'm the red owner) but she's being slowly fixed up. She's got +144k miles and I ride her every day back n forth to work as soon as the roads are clean until snow flies

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Tennessee. I have a ‘13 ABS, Nav and I do not remember any recall notification. I rode a HD Heritage Softail Classic prior to getting the Wing. I actually rented a Wing for 3 straight days to make sure I would like the feel/ride prior to buying a Wing. My pillon rider enjoyed the Wing more.

I am not familiar with the used Wing market. Someone maybe able to speak to what the ‘18 n ‘19 Wing has done to the GL1800 Generation 2 used market. I was at Honda dealer yesterday and saw 2 used Wings for sell, an ‘05 and ‘10. I have not seen very many used Wings at this dealer in past.

Reactions: Dva

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Other things to consider would be the aftermarket accessories on the 13. If they are ones you would want, then that is also worth something to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ended up going with leftover 16 hopefully we will be picking up early am it’s about 3-1/2 hours from home so I’ll have nice ride to get familiar with the new ride. Just couldn’t get the numbers right on the used 13 as far financing goes it will sell quick.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
If you plan on keeping the bike for many years and many many many miles you may want to look into the extended warranty.
I got mine for $600.00 for four more years unlimited miles.
:popcrn:

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Where abouts in Virginia? I welcome you from Fredericksburg. I have the 14. And I ride it year round. Except when snow on the roads.

·
Administrator
26,312 Posts
Welcome to the site. Pretty much echo what has been said about the ones you mentioned. Any US dealer can run the VIN of the bike and check if any or all of the recall(s) have been done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts