Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had recent discussions on bike tires. The Michelin Comander II versus the Dunlap Elite 3.

Both boast longer lasting or more mileage...has anyone used either one? I would like to see what your experience was..This is very important to me since I am going to be putting 10,000 miles on the bike in one ride. Last year I had premature tire failure and likely it did not blow out when I was doing some highway riding...thanks Lee

·
Registered
306 Posts
I bought my 2001 with 19k and the dealer had put on new E-3's, it now has 28K and are still in great shape. I bet they can go another 4K easily. I have not experienced any cupping or abnormal wear, I did put on a Superbrace right after I bought it. I am in SC so heat is a issue and sudden down pours. It is mostly flat land riding with few twisties, I usually ride solo with a light load. No complaints here.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob thank you...I appreciate your input...

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
Better mileage , the safety of " Run Flat " technology, better traction on wet roads, more rubber on the road at any given point,.......... May I suggest the KUMHO RunFlat 195/55/R16 on the rear ?

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Better mileage , the safety of " Run Flat " technology, better traction on wet roads, more rubber on the road at any given point,.......... May I suggest the KUMHO RunFlat 195/55/R16 on the rear ?
Is this a darkside thingy? (car tire) I almost went that way with the Rocket...

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will keep an open mind about it chop....what pressures do you run at? Do you still have the sensors for you wing in place and how are they affected if you do?

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I also run a c/t a Dunlop RunFlat on rear and intend to buy an aftermarket TPMS. Ride quality is super, handles twisties without compromise and has a potential longevity of 20-30k. If it goes flat I may have enough range to run on flat to get repaired or replaced or at least to get off the road to a safe place to inspect and repair. The chances of explosion and rapid decompression and loss of control is probably eliminated. Mine most about $150 shipped.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Have I mentioned on here that I also run a car tire? 22,000 on mine. I only have 2,000 left and I will have to replace it. Not bad for a tire that costs me $87 shipped to my door.

DooKoo (another forum member) runs a car tire on the track. He really puts the tire to the test.

Here is a video of him burning up the track with his 1800 / car tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BmNqKOhX1r4

Good luck with your selection process.

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
i put new e3's on my 1200 wing at 39,700 miles. i'm now up around 54,000 miles and both the front and rear tire look good but its ridden lightly

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
I can't recall if Dookoo or DF have TPMS on their bikes. With the current issue on the reset tool for the TPMS it could create an issue with the TPMS system to put a C/T on a TPMS equipped bike if you can't recalibrate the system.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I would suggest you real the July issue of Rider Magazine, before you make a decision on weather or not to put a car tire on you bike.
What ever you do I hope it's right for you.

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
I would suggest you real the July issue of Rider Magazine, before you make a decision on weather or not to put a car tire on you bike.
What ever you do I hope it's right for you.
That was an interesting article but I'm sure the D.S.'ers have all kinds of rebuttals to it. Anyway what the heck does an Ole Fossil know he rides Bulls for fun.

Like Ron says hope whatever you decide works out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just put on E3'S Saturday it runs great so fare- 230 miles. I wanted to try the Dark Side but until I know what insurance figures out I wont do it. A friend of mine is getting 8 to 10000 on a set with everyday riding. When I got a sidecar then I will probably move on over too.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I've gotten 19,000 out of the last two sets of E-3. Been running 40-41 front and back.
Works for me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts