Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my surgery is coming up soon, I will be off my wing for about 6 months. My tank is almost completly empty,should I run it out of gas and risk burning up the fuel pump or fill it up adding some Stabil? I am leaning toward the Stabil. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Will you be using a battery tender ? Me, I would put some Sta-Bil or Seafoam in and start it up a few times a week to keep the juices flowing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not thought about the battery. I have 3amp charger but I guess I should buy a tender.any recomendations?

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I have not thought about the battery. I have 3amp charger but I guess I should buy a tender.any recommendations?
Can't recommend what I don't have. I'm one of those " never tended and never had any trouble " Honda owners. I only mention the Tender because starting the bike and letting her run at idle speed will do nothing to charge the battery and " some " say it just wears it down.

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Here is what you need. I would fill the tank with fresh gas, put stabil in her. Run for about 5 minutes to get stabil through the system. Put her on the center stand, hook up the battery tender and leave her go. Don't start it or touch it until your ready to ride.

You might want to clean and wax before storage and cover with a soft cover to keep dust off. Hope all goes well with your surgery

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341139939&sr=8-1&keywords=battery++tender

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Here is what you need. I would fill the tank with fresh gas, put stabil in her. Run for about 5 minutes to get stabil through the system. Put her on the center stand, hook up the battery tender and leave her go. Don't start it or touch it until your ready to ride.

You might want to clean and wax before storage and cover with a soft cover to keep dust off. Hope all goes well with your surgery

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...id=1341139939&sr=8-1&keywords=battery++tender
Is that an option or a direct order ?:D

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Is that an option or a direct order ?:D
I guess it's an option, but it sounds like an order. (sorry for that) I guess being in the colder part of the country, it's what I do in November until March. Works for me and when Spring comes around the Wing fires right up..

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Charlie is spot on. This is the tried & trued method of Pennsylvanians.;)

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
What Charlie and the Fossil said is spot on.
Starting and running it for a few minutes only causes condensation in the engine and exhaust, not good.
Don't listen to Chopin he's the guy that tries to put his wing on the center stand in his bare feet, no wait I think he said he was only wearing socks.:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Sorry Chop couldn't miss the opportunity to give you a poke.:)

Knelson: sorry I missed what surgery you are having ??

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
What Charlie and the Fossil said is spot on.
Starting and running it for a few minutes only causes condensation in the engine and exhaust, not good.
Don't listen to Chopin he's the guy that tries to put his wing on the center stand in his bare feet, no wait I think he said he was only wearing socks.:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Sorry Chop couldn't miss the opportunity to give you a poke.:)

Knelson: sorry I missed what surgery you are having ??
You are spot on, even if the spot's on me. I didn't say that's what Nelson should do, but that's what I do. I run her until the cooling fans kick on a couple times a week when mine is stored up for the few months in winter. But.... I would defer here to the PA and N.W. riders here because they have more experience with looooong term storage.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
You are spot on, even if the spot's on me. I didn't say that's what Nelson should do, but that's what I do. I run her until the cooling fans kick on a couple times a week when mine is stored up for the few months in winter. But.... I would defer here to the PA and N.W. riders here because they have more experience with looooong term storage.
Ooouch that hurt ;)

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
I agree with Charlie 100%. I hope surgery goes well!

Mark

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for a the advise my Wing Is now clean with a full tank of gas with stabile. I took it out for a short ride to mix the fuel and get some of it in the fuel lines and injectors. I will just run it every week or so. For now it is covered and ready for nothing.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Some guys (myself included will park their bike on the center stand and put carpet under the tire. Don't know that it does that much good, but I always do it

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been busy getting ready and I forgot the center stand. Thanks

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Done, thanks for the carpet idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.