Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently bought a good running gl1500 but it hasn't had a lot of TLC it’s last few years (at least, cosmetically). While I have all the tupperware stripped off for painting, what would you guys/gals suggesst I add to my list of things to do/check before I put the body parts back on? Here is what I have so far.

Change:
spark plugs
fuel filter
oil
oil filter
Air filter (changing to K&N)

Check/replace as necessary
brakes
alternator brushes
air pressures in forks

Plan to change out all the fluids this winter and I am on a budget but what else am I missing?

thanks-

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There is cruise filter and a sub filter that just about no one chges and they deteriorate over the years and fall apart. Also if the bike has near 60,000 miles I would change the timing belts.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Sub Filter

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Cruise filter

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Joe,
I will hunt these down.
About the timing belt- you said belts, is there more than one.
Also, this bike has 41k, but it is still 15 years old.
Are there any pictures out there that show wear or cracks to help determine
if mine needs to be replaced?

I will replace it if it needs it but I am not looking around to spend additional money right now if it doesn't yet need it.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There are two belts one runs each side, they always look good even with a lot of miles on them, but you sure don't want one to break. Since the bike is 15 years old and you don't know if they have been changed before , I would do it. There are other belts that will fit the 1500 if you don't want to use Honda ones, Goodyear 40275 timing belts are available for the GL1500. Gates have been supplying the T275 timing belt for the GL1500. Also available is the Napa 250275. Note that the same timing belts fit all GL1500 models from 1988-2000.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great info -
thanks, I will change them out.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
There is cruise filter and a sub filter that just about no one chges and they deteriorate over the years and fall apart. Also if the bike has near 60,000 miles I would change the timing belts.
Joe, what's the cruise and sub filter? I clicked on your "x" but nothing comes up.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are two belts one runs each side, they always look good even with a lot of miles on them, but you sure don't want one to break. Since the bike is 15 years old and you don't know if they have been changed before , I would do it. There are other belts that will fit the 1500 if you don't want to use Honda ones, Goodyear 40275 timing belts are available for the GL1500. Gates have been supplying the T275 timing belt for the GL1500. Also available is the Napa 250275. Note that the same timing belts fit all GL1500 models from 1988-2000.
Question re: changing out the belts. I saw somewhere to change out the tensioners as well. Seems that there are several names for this item. I want to make sure I order the right thing.

is this correct?
SKU: 14510-MG9-008
ADJUSTER, TIMING BELT (Honda Code 1523273)

$68 each at honda parts nation.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Clean your Carburetors while your at it! Some of the tubes are prone to drying out! replace them if you can. Specially the one that connects the carbs together. It's a vacuum tube. This one is hard to get to after everything is in place.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would also change the anti-freeze and probably more important I would replace the brake fluid in both systems & rear end gear fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the advise.
I have a long list of things to do.
oil, plugs and freeze is coming out now while all the plastic is off of it.
I am changing the belts and want to do the tensioners while there.

I have a fuel filter, oil filter as well as cruise and sub filter material.

Appreciate the advise on the carb tubes. going to sync the carbs while I am in all this and will look over all the tubes, wires, etc.

I think I have the right item picked for the tensioners but didn't wan to spend 150 bucks for the wrong thing and lose the time waiting for the postman.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How come you want to change your Air filter to K&N? What is your previous air filter?
Makindue,

I never have to buy another filter.
I only clean and oil this once a year.

I currently own a Honda Sabre 1100 and with new pipes and jet kit it increased the hp by 13%. (not an opinion, dyno print out).

Can't say the filter did how much but it was the "recipe" many others used with good success so i will keep using them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts