Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying an 81 GoldWing in the morning ..from what I have checked on the timing belts should be replaced and starter go out and you have to pull motor to fix...GEE

Anyway the one I am getting below, he says the belts were changed Front forks rebuilt and carbs set in last 18 months with new tires

And it runs great he is riding it in 200 miles to bring it to me.

I live on a hill so would it hurt to roll the bike off instead of using the starter??? that may be a dumb ? ..LOL

I think I am gettin a heck of a deal on it at $1500.00 it only has 46K on it!

What you think?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I rode an 82 GL1100 for 14 years and loved it. The 1500 is a better bike for highway riding but the 1100 is much more fun on the tight roads. Good luck with your "new" ride. OH, by the way you don't have to pull the engine to change the starter. It can be done if you're very careful, and keep the bike on its side stand. A net search should get you the steps you need. I don't think "kicking it off" down a hill would do any harm. I'd probably use 2nd or 3rd gear to do so.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Are you talking about a "bump start"? If so, no problem, but use second gear for sure. The 1100's are really great bikes...first Wing I ever rode was an 83 1100i.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa and congrats on your new Wing. Good luck and may you always find a hill to park on.....

·
Super Moderator
11,791 Posts
Hello volwings, welcome to the forum. Are you talking starter or stator? The early Wings did have a problem with the stator going out, not so much the starter.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello volwings, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
23 Posts
OH, Stator! That's a different animal. While the 1100 did not have a stator problem like the 1200 did they were a little on the weak side. This usually is not a problem as long as the charging system isn't over-taxed. I always kept any accessory lights like marker lights and driving lights on separate switches and used them only as needed. Something else you might want to look into is possibly removing the trim panels that were added at the rear of the engine, owners of 4 cylinder wings often refer to these as "stator cookers" because they don't allow heat to escape from that area. By the way, the engine does have to come out, and the case needs to be split to replace the stator. Take good care of your wing and you'll get many, many fun years with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OH, Stator! That's a different animal. While the 1100 did not have a stator problem like the 1200 did they were a little on the weak side. This usually is not a problem as long as the charging system isn't over-taxed. I always kept any accessory lights like marker lights and driving lights on separate switches and used them only as needed. Something else you might want to look into is possibly removing the trim panels that were added at the rear of the engine, owners of 4 cylinder wings often refer to these as "stator cookers" because they don't allow heat to escape from that area. By the way, the engine does have to come out, and the case needs to be split to replace the stator. Take good care of your wing and you'll get many, many fun years with it.

trim panels??

The chrome ones? that have the wing on them

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, those are the ones I meant. Some people really like the look, but they do trap the heat right behind the engine where the stator is located. On the other hand I'm sure that there are 4 Cyl.Wings out there that have them on for twenty years with no problems. Just something to know and think about. Personally I like the look of the bike without them, but that is for you to decide.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, those are the ones I meant. Some people really like the look, but they do trap the heat right behind the engine where the stator is located. On the other hand I'm sure that there are 4 Cyl.Wings out there that have them on for twenty years with no problems. Just something to know and think about. Personally I like the look of the bike without them, but that is for you to decide.

what if u were to drill some air holes in the plate ? couldnt hurt only help

·
Registered
23 Posts
volwings, I didn't mean to upset or alarm you. There is nothing wrong with keeping the side panels the way they are. I just wanted to let you know about somethings you should be aware of. The 1100 charging system isn't strong enough to support a lot of extra load, as in a lot of accessory lights or heated clothing. Basic maintenance like keeping the battery fully charged and making sure all electrical connections are clean and tight are just as important. You didn't say where you are from so if you ride in a hot region and do a lot of stop and go riding it's just something to be aware of. Whatever you decide, the most important thing is to ride safe, have fun, and enjoy your "new" Wing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome, and wow looks like it has more chrome then the one i just picked up..
good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts