Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me a trick to getting a really heavy GL 1500 with all the bells and whistles up on the stand? I weigh about 180 and it takes just about all I have got to get this big bike up on the stand. Do they make some kind go air assist you can mount to the frame of the bike?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Trick is once you pull back on the handlebars, then use your foot with all your weight on it and it goes back easy. Just takes a little practice. Took me a few try's to get it to work for me.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
It's all about the technique, not the strength.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If You just can't do it that way.
Take a 1x4, cut it about 4" long place it behind back wheel, and roll the bike on to it.
With the bike on the 1X4, then put bike on the center stand using the above shown method. Less effort is required, and it works just fine. Also this will help if the bike is loaded.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Having the suspention on 25 helps it sit higher and hense easier to get onto center stand. The caveat is that to change the supention settings, you are supposed to have it up on center stand (or so I've been told). Center the bike on the stand before anything, then stand on the stand while rocking it up with the pillion handle (bike in nuetral).

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
thats so true silver bullet. the shocks on my 1200 were not holding air making it a bear to get on the center stand, its easyer now with the new shocks. even though the 1500 weighs more than the 1200 its easyer to get on the center stand to me anyway

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
I find very stout leather boots with steel toes and soles helps, too. Tennis shoes don't cut it. Like according to some around here, stocking feet don't work for moving your Wing around, anytime.:D

For those of you who have them: Do drive-off type stands help with this problem, or is the piece of wood best?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Seat Handles -

Hey Rah - One other comment on the advantages of riding two up. Although the percentage of assistance may not really be very much - when my back is acting up, my wife helps to put the bike up on to the center stand with a coordinated pull on the right hand seat handle.

Her score so far is - successful lifts = 3,652 ultimate misses = 0

Michael :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Getting a heavy GL1500 up on the stand. Reply to Thread

My wife has helped me a few times just helping to hold the bike steady when I put it up on the stand. I have also had back problems but nothing major in the past 10 years knock on wood. I never owned a bike anywhere near this heavy in fact I just got back into motorcycling a year ago when I bought a 1984 V45. I actually looked at the goldwing videos to learn how to put that bike on the stand and that bike weighs probably half of what this beast weighs.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
The piece of wood under the rear wheel really help, besure both the feet on the center stand are on the floor before you try to put it on the stand.
The bike feels like it's leaning away from you when both the feet are on the ground.
And a little air in the rear shocks really helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I started using the 1x4 on my ST, it was the hardest bike I ever tried to put on a center stand. Also it could have some bearing on the fact that I am older than I have ever been.
I also weigh less than I have since high school too.
I used to average 210, now 170, still 6' tall, and I have found I can't do a lot of things I used to, now 63 years young, and never thought I would get to be this old.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I started using the 1x4 on my ST, it was the hardest bike I ever tried to put on a center stand. Also it could have some bearing on the fact that I am older than I have ever been.
I also weigh less than I have since high school too.
I used to average 210, now 170, still 6' tall, and I have found I can't do a lot of things I used to, now 63 years young, and never thought I would get to be this old.
You JUST a Kid Yet, wait till you cross the 70ty mark.:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Im gonna try the 1 x 4 trick cause I have tried everything else, and it just doesnt get easy. It might be because of my bad back, but the lead in your britches doesnt help cause Im tiping the scales at 420 and it just wont come up unless I am borderline slipping a disc again in my back
Allright, I'm calling "Shenanigans" (South Park reference) You weigh over half the weight of the bike and cannot get it on the centerstand? What? Are you trying it barefoot? Got no right hip? C'mon now! You're pulling our, uh, legs! I weigh about half of your weight and am 58 and have no problem WITHOUT the 1" x 4".

You're yankin' us, aren't you!:p

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
I am going to borrow a bit from my Canadian mate and say it has a lot to do with Technique.(need lots of practice)
And from Ron (you can't teach new trick to old dogs) but they have a lot of old tricks that we can copy. A bit of wood under the rear tire will help.
Here are a couple of my learning the Technique's. One of my first leson was:
1/ At 17 years old I go to the Drive-in on the bike and put the bike up on the centre stand, on the uphill bit to sit and watch the movie. I did have a great time but.
2/ Now realise with the movie finished that the bike is facing up this hill. Also realise some-one may see me trying to get this bike off the centre stand. Not cool:eek: Do I wait until they all go. Do I get help to get it off the centre stand. No not cool:cool:
3/ Discover that all efforts to rock it off the centre is not working. It is still not cool to except a helping hand.
4/ Plan B. Don't you love plan B's. The drive-in is nearly empty. Soooo start the bike. Put it in first and rock like mad. Almost got it.
5/ Plan B part 2. With the bike in first gear and rocking like mad and lots of revs.
6/ Yes, yes, we are away with the front wheel in the air, and over the first little hill. And over the second hill before I can get the front wheel down again.
7/ I accept that at that moment I have seriously looked uncool. But it still brings a smile to my face.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.