Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

getting a gold wing i think.

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Badrider 
#1 ·
So i thought i would ask if getting a goldwing is write for me.

what i have
Handa Shadow 1988 1100cc clasic

I have been riding for 2 years and have taken the safety course plus advanced

Im looking into a used 1996 goldwing 1500se with 19780 miles on it for &6000

I love wings and am looking for a good highway and around town bike.
some that can carry a passenger comfortably and be able to hall some things. (NOT a trailer)

I have herd they handle much better then the shadow and are smoother on the highway. what concerns me is how hevy they are. if im stuck in traffic i dont want to die from exhaustion. I do live in the city. But i ride out of state a lot.

#2 ·
hello jacob, welcome to GWOF. my friend marty got licensed last year and his first bike is a 1200 wing. don't let someone else decide what you want

#3 ·
First welcome to the GWOF from PA
Second I moved this thread into the "New Members" section
Third Once you get used to the Wing you will find it to be very nimble & stopping in traffic isn't all that bad. The worst part will be waiting to ride open road again not the weight.

#5 ·
Thank you all.

Whats your opinion on these 2 bikes

bike 1 is a 1993 gl1500 with 96850miles has good tires and is fully loaded after market.
i like its looks price 5300

bike 2 is a 1996 gl1500se with 19000 miles white with fabric seat not leather like bike 1 and will need new tires very soon. price 6700

and is there anything i should look at before buying. IE steering barring or alternator problems

#6 ·
You are way ahead of me before I got my wing. I have never done a safety course, much less, the advanced. You WILL get use to the weight with practice.
Just remember you are riding it, not carrying it. :chopper:
The biggest issues with the weight will be slow maneuvers.....There are 2 big pluses there:
1. The Wing is built to drop
2. You get to be a member of the IDMWT Club:faceplant:

#8 ·
Jacob, these bikes are only heavy when they fall over, you keep them vertical and you don't notice the weight. Don't be afraid to ride one, do be careful with them while cornering at parking lots speeds. Once you have it cruising down the hwy you'll forget all about the weight and find it handles as good as any bike out there.
The link EFINREF posted looks like a nice bike and priced right.

#11 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Keep in mind, a set of tires can run around $500.00. With only about 1,000 miles a year, it could have problems from just sitting.

#12 ·
It might take you a week to fell comfortable on your new wing, but that would be the case on any new to you bike. Don't worry about the wieght, just look at all the ladies that ride Electra Glides, plus I know a few ladies who do ride thier own Goldwing. Once you hit the highway, you'll love it! Rode mine from near Cleveland, Oh. to Key West Fl and back in 9 days taking it easy.

What you didn't state on the choice between the bikes your looking at is the trim level. Are they Interstate (bare bones stripper model) Aspencade (air system, cruise, am/fm/ tape player) or SE (fully loaded with everything plus two tone paint job). Also which one says 'Ride Me"?

Either one you would be looking to put $500 into at some time whether maintance items or tires. I've got not quite 115,000 on my '93 and have not done much to it up to last year. Put $1000 into last year, recovered the custom seat after 19 years, replaced valve covers and engine guards wich were damaged a few years ago and fixed my J&M cb which I broke the volume control off. Oh I did replace my timing belts, no big deal if you lnow which end of a wrench to hold.

#13 ·
I have been riding motorcycles for years in my youth then after a 20 year layoff I bought a 750 shadow ..a long trip convinced me this was not a touring bike ..I finally bought a 2001 1800 ..this bike is smooth ..the only issue is... top heavy compared to the shadow ..I did have the bike fall over a few times when stopped:faceplant:.. my 29" inseam was not helping:tapfoot: ..also found out:wow: this bike had been tranxxed... front and rear ..this is a non stock suspension upgrade..a good thing but makes the bike a smidgen taller and will not settle as much when you sit... again not the best if yea have a 29" inseam ...sooo I put a 1" lowering bracket on it and the bike now handles better at slow speeds am flat footed and then some...yea never know what your going to get ..it's been a great journey good luck on what yea get:beerchug:

#14 ·
Welcome from Pa. Enjoy the forum and ride safe...

#15 ·
Welcome to the site. Wings are big but very manageable bikes once accustomed to them.

#16 ·
so im going to go get one on this weekend if it all checks out. Anything i should look for? I test road it was a great bike. felt heavy but only when standing still or in od on the high way. not much power in that gear. but it wasn't meant for power. It did not come with the radio cover. do i need this? it will be kept in the garage but i cant cut out the positionable of a rain storm or two.

#17 ·
Jacob753c,
Wings are heavy, and it's not if you will drop it but when. But easy to pick back up, I know I have picked mine up 3 times.

You will love the wing.......

#18 ·
Hello Jacob & welcome to the GWOF. It sounds to me like I would prefer bike 2. A little newer and less miles. We cannot see all the extras of course, so it's hard to know what bike 1 has.

The one magnaryder is selling looks really nice also. Decisions decisions???????????

If you do trade up for a wing, I suggest you go to large empty parking lot and practice, practice, practice.

Good luck, and let us know the end results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.