Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last two years I make it a point around the time of the Marine Corps Birthday to visit the resting place of one of our own. Beautiful ride day with temps hovering around 65*. I even found our 'ol forum buddy " Rigginray " down that way with his personal secretary , Erica , riding pillion so we doubled up for a salute to the General.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Thats pretty cool, Lee. I did a little research on General Puller after you dropped a quote on me a while back. He was real Bad A$$. I know he passed in '71....I guess you never had the honor of meeting him.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats pretty cool, Lee. I did a little research on General Puller after you dropped a quote on me a while back. He was real Bad A$$.
And according to some of the town folk I talked to who knew him as a neighbor he was a pain in the A$$. I always thought it odd that he was not interred at National Cemetery. The most decorated soldier in American's history is resting in a quaint and humble church yard off Rt. 17. There is a story behind the story I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
And according to some of the town folk I talked to who knew him as a neighbor he was a pain in the A$$. I always thought it odd that he was not interred at National Cemetery. The most decorated soldier in American's history is resting in a quaint and humble church yard off Rt. 17. There is a story behind the story I'm sure.
He must have upset some serious brass. But you know I have found many important historical personalities to find a similar end.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
Glad you guys had a good time. Did you ever notice how it seems that those 2 have a permanent smile?

Their optimism is infectious.

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
Very good. I'm sure his reputation was due to the fact that he knew what needed doing and he made sure it happened. I hope there are many just like him in the Marines right now.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
If Chester's request to be reactivated during the Vietnam war was approved, there would have been a few less Viet Cong around. He would have been in his middle 60's and in the jungle.

The eastern part of America is so rich in history. I have a thirst for seeing the theaters of American history on the east coast. I would love to spend two months riding around checking things out and know that I only scratched the surface of it all.

My 4 corners tour will not satisfy my thirst, but it will fill in my map:

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
If Chester's request to be reactivated during the Vietnam war was approved, there would have been a few less Viet Cong around. He would have been in his middle 60's and in the jungle.

The eastern part of America is so rich in history. I have a thirst for seeing the theaters of American history on the east coast. I would love to spend two months riding around checking things out and know that I only scratched the surface of it all.

My 4 corners tour will not satisfy my thirst, but it will fill in my map:
If you ever get out this way to PA or VA there are a lot of historic sites worth seeing and I'm sure some of us folks would love to show them to you.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Lee, I was in VA yesterday (Fredericksburg) for my nephew's wedding. Went by the Marine musuem. I remember you talking about going there. Sadly I was in a cage with 3 people and not on the bike. But the day was beautiful. By the way traffic around DC on Saturday is terrible. I can't imagine what it must be like during the week.

Glad you were able to make your trip..

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Two Wheel Wing;74034 By the way traffic around DC on Saturday is terrible. I can't imagine what it must be like during the week. Glad you were able to make your trip..[/QUOTE said:
Familiarity breeds a bit of indifference/ acceptence to the traffic. Most of my commuting is between neighborhoods and certain major arteries I avoid like the plague during certain travel hours of the day. Funny, I was in Fredericksburg for a bit to get on Rt.17. I was there about 10:30

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I certainly look forward to meeting any of the forum guys from the east as well as seeing what I can see on this 4 corner tour.
I'll be here for you. Manassas Battlefield is almost in my backyard. You can count on me for a Gettysburg run too.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I am not sure which way I am going first. The meet and greet in the east would be a determining factor. I would not want to cross the south end in the heat of the summer.... so I would take that into consideration. The last leg of the trip is not required to be included in the ride..... I have 21 days to make it 8,400 miles from Blaine to Maine to Key West and back across to San Ysidro, California.

I could do it by heading from Blaine to San Ysidro first, then Key West, then Maine and then back home to Seattle on my leisure. This route would not put much pressure on my east coast visit as I could stay as long as I wanted to before heading west back home. I am thinking being gone from home 28 days.

400 gallons of gas @ $3.50 = $1400 in fuel costs.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Had a friend at work who was a retired Marine and his locker had a large bumper sticker which read, "Good night Chesty, where ever you are". He was a true American Hero who went above and beyond his call of duty.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
400 gallons of gas @ $3.50 = $1400 in fuel costs.
I know it's a bit in the future but you probably will find here in the east fuel prices can be about .20-.30 a gallon higher than your average. Pa. N.Y. & Ct. can really put a hurt on your wallet.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know it's a bit in the future but you probably will find here in the east fuel prices can be about .20-.30 a gallon higher than your average. Pa. N.Y. & Ct. can really put a hurt on your wallet.
Speaking of gas. In Front Royal there is a station that sells 100% gas, no Ethanol added. Stopped by there yesterday to see if pure gas made a difference in performance on the Wing. Station closed due to " Personal " reasons according to the sign. Only other 100% gas station I hear is in Harrisonburg, VA.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
Speaking of gas. In Front Royal there is a station that sells 100% gas, no Ethanol added. Stopped by there yesterday to see if pure gas made a difference in performance on the Wing. Station closed due to " Personal " reasons according to the sign. Only other 100% gas station I hear is in Harrisonburg, VA.
Ethanol is so present here in PA. that I even stopped looking for the real deal. Just picked up a couple of bottles of Staybil Ethanol (Blue) treatment instead. It does give me something else to do now just like KJ said but it really isn't in our control so we have to make do.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
We don't get real gas here either. Last summer, I was down at Crater Lake Oregon and found a station with 100% gas. I had never rode my Goldwing with 100% gas before. It really made a big difference and my mileage went way up. The bike had quite a bit more power. The gas was $5.00 a gallon due to the place being so remote.... I didn't really care. That is what vacations are for!

There are stations which cater to boat people who do carry it. Usually off the beaten trail. Here is a website that follows stations that do cater to 100% gas.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

1 - 20 of 23 Posts