Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm working on a 1983 GL1100 SE that I've named "Bobo." I've shown the carbs before rebuild and mentioned the putrid gas tank. But now I really get it.

The PO (previous owner, for new folks) said that "all of a sudden the bike started smoking like hell" and that he tried it a few times after that and same thing. After that, he parked it (2002) and bought the '85 GL1200 Aspencade that I ride, named Tatanka.

Below please find three photos. The first is of the timing mark on the flywheel. Trust me, it's on T1, where it's supposed to be for this procedure. The second is of the left-side (as you sit on the bike) camshaft pulley with "UP" showing pretty much straight up. The third is of the right-side camshaft pulley. Anybody see the problem?

The "Jeopardy" music is playing. If nobody responds with the correct answer by later today, I'll answer it. I doubt that I'll need to.
Clues: The right-side belt was looser than spec. The intake valves have oil/carbon residue on them, a fair amount. I see SeaFoam in Bobo's future, along with 3-4 cheap fuel filters over the next 6-8 months (and, still probably pulling the tank, dangit!)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
How many bent valves or pistons with holes in them? Timing is just a bit off. :eek:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
To quote Bob Uker in the movie Major league,

Juuuuuuuuuust a bit outside!!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
So does it have an 'off cadence' lope to it like a Harley?:eek: You are going to effect repair on that right side roight?

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, the right-side belt has skipped a tooth, maybe two. That'll make them smoke, all right. I'm hopeful that minimal damage was done other than carbon coated everything. PO did not ride it after it happened, just started it a few times (of course it ran "poorly.") I've turned the engine by hand and with the starter; so far no nasty clinking, crunchy sounds!:eek:

Pick up my new belts today ($52! Tatanka's cost $30, WTH!) and hope to have them on, the cleaned carbs back on and try a turnover in the next few days.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New Napa/Gates timing belts installed in Bobo, timing marks on the nose and tensioners adjusted to 3-5mm belt play on the longest length per spec (I need to tighten Tatanka's a bit this winter.) Old belts were finished, due to age and sitting for 10 years on the same spots.

Next is to install the rebuilt carbs and intakes with fresh O-rings where the elbows connect to the cylinder head; the old O-rings were about 1/2 the thickness of the new ones, again, finished. Then, ask Budoka-san to email me some PDFs about how the various hoses are hooked up and the intake and exhaust valve clearance specs. Since the carbs were SO funky, including no two floats being set the same, I'd better make sure the valves are set right before trying to fire him off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.