Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, this may seem an unlikely question, but one which I really need answering. I'm having trouble shifting. Not that the wing doesn't shift - it's me. I see others shifting gears so smooth that you can hardly notice they're shifting. But when I shift, there seems to always be an interruption to the smoothness, and more noise as the gears mesh. My question is, at what speeds or RPM's do you all shift at. And, another question, when you are just cruising through a community at about 35 mph, what gear are you in. At what speed do you use the 5th overdrive gear? I know this sounds crazy, but others ride my bike and it's just a smooth experience, so I know it's not the bike - and I really hate to admit it, but it's me. I really need some advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I try to shift around 2500 RPM's, You can tell if your lugging the bike in town, if so then downshift.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a "lead wrist", I would say about 75% of the time I shift @ around 4000 to 4500 rpms. That shifting goes pretty smooth for me. It is the 25% that I am on roads or in traffic where you are riding slow and it seems to be 2nd gear that gives me problems.
If I don't use the friction zone right, it's a jerky shift from 1st to second.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it seems that the bike has the necessary power to putter around town in 5th gear at 35 mph. I just wondered what gear most people ride in at this speed. Is it OK to stay in 3rd or 4th at this speed for a long time, say a couple of miles?

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
I don't ever go into 5th until I'm doing at least 40. With my 1200 anything below that and it struggles. I like to stay at about 2400 rpm for around town.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well, it seems that the bike has the necessary power to putter around town in 5th gear at 35 mph. I just wondered what gear most people ride in at this speed. Is it OK to stay in 3rd or 4th at this speed for a long time, say a couple of miles?
What ever speed I am going, I keep it in a gear that keeps the rpm above 2000 and at around 3000 it's time to grab another gear.
35 in 5th gear and you are lugging the engine. Not only that but you have no real power if you need it. I always stay in a gear that will allow me to twist it and GO if I need to escape danger!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sounds like you are a bit like I was when I first got the 1800. I thought that it felt like the wing needed a 6th gear and I still do. But the running at 3k -4k rpms while cruising just felt too high to me. But I have since learned that the 1800 loves the higher rpm range and is happy running 4k rpm all day.
The first mile ever but on this bike was when I bought it new . I went 475 miles to go pick it up and this wings very first trip was 475 miles back to Houston. I kept it around 4k solid, non stop except for fuel. Basically I did 90 - 100 mph for 7 hours...........lol. The 1800 will eat up anything you throw at it and be happy for 200,000 miles with no problem!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I should have mentioned - Black Beauty is an 2003 year 1800. Thanks for the input. I'll try keeping it around 2500 - 3000 rpm for awhile to see how she performs. Now, about the shifting, any advice there? Am I being too careful trying to switch gears, or should I just bang it in there?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I guess I should have mentioned - Black Beauty is an 2003 year 1800. Thanks for the input. I'll try keeping it around 2500 - 3000 rpm for awhile to see how she performs. Now, about the shifting, any advice there? Am I being too careful trying to switch gears, or should I just bang it in there?
I would have to say, just practice. Spend a day doing nothing but concentrating on shifting and eventually it will become second nature. My shifting is usually pretty smooth but there is still that jerky second gear shift every once in a while.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No, don't bang it in there. Practice smooth shifting and you will get better with time. I am still learning to be smooth.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Shifting Gears

I shift from 1st to 2nd at almost twenty mph.
I then shift from 2nd to 3rd at about thirty mph
from 3rd to 4th at fourty mph
from 4th to 5th at about fifty.

Around town I like 3rd gear on side streets. Through town on the main street I like it in 4th gear, doing about 35mph.

Hope this helped. Have fun riding.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Going from a Harley to the GW two days ago I'm going through the same thing....I'm getting better though, and you will too.....The cluch is quite a bit different, but it's just practice I'm sure.........

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
my 1200 aspy likes to be at or above 2200rpm. the 1500 i've had down around 750 rpm in fifth gear. it will pull from that low nice an clean. if you are riding a 1500 or 1800 wing an not in 5th gear asap or shifting above 2500rpm you are wasting gas or just having fun or both

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Wings will never shift like an ST or CBR, but they can be smoother with LOTS of practice. It's a learning thing, and 1st to 2nd is for the most part going to clunk some. I have noticed a huge difference since switching to Amsoil though, butter smooth in the 2nd gear and beyond.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a GW 2010...and find the gearing less desirable...the 1st gear in my opinion is useless...to low of a gear...you should not have to start out in 1st gear and feel jerkiness in a bike (as though the throttle is too touchy)...as soon as the bike is moving I shift immediately to 2nd gear...smoother ride...I can bring the bike down to 1 mph in second gear and have no problems....I shift all other gears when the bike reachs 2000 rpm....but stay out of 5th gear unless over 45mph....I find that if you shift when the rpms are greater than 2000 the bike acts like it is downshifting when letting out the clutch...now you can avoid this by letting out the clutch slower and increase the throttle little bit more...but then you are placing undue wear on your clutch plates.....In all honesty...I found my '81 GW to shift smoother after 30 years than the new 2010....

Safe Rides

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a 2008 GL 1800 and when I was looking at the Owner's Manual the shifting says the following:
Upshifting
1st to 2nd 12 MPH
2nd to 3rd 19 MPH
3rd to 4th 25MPH
4th to 5th (OD) 31 MPH

Downshifting
OD to 4th 26MPH
4th to 3rd 22 MPH

The gears seem to squeal while shifting up from 1st to 3rd then the shifting seems to smooth out.

Does anyone have solid advice on shifting this bike as I have tried it by the book and by the "sound" and still hear the squeal on the lower gears.

Examples of your shifting and Help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a 2008 GL 1800 and when I was looking at the Owner's Manual the shifting says the following:
Upshifting
1st to 2nd 12 MPH
2nd to 3rd 19 MPH
3rd to 4th 25MPH
4th to 5th (OD) 31 MPH

Downshifting
OD to 4th 26MPH
4th to 3rd 22 MPH

The gears seem to squeal while shifting up from 1st to 3rd then the shifting seems to smooth out.

Does anyone have solid advice on shifting this bike as I have tried it by the book and by the "sound" and still hear the squeal on the lower gears.

Examples of your shifting and Help is appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got a 2010 Goldwing 2010 in March I have put 2500 miles on it so far. I came over from a Yamaha Venture and I say there is no comparason, what a machine this Goldwing is. Personally I have found that 1st gear is only used when I am starting off from a pretty good incline. I use 2nd thru 4th unless on the interstate. Keep the rpm around 2500-3000and it seems to be happy as a lark.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What ever speed I am going, I keep it in a gear that keeps the rpm above 2000 and at around 3000 it's time to grab another gear.
35 in 5th gear and you are lugging the engine. Not only that but you have no real power if you need it. I always stay in a gear that will allow me to twist it and GO if I need to escape danger!
I think that is very good advise!

Reactions: Larry B
1 - 20 of 21 Posts