Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me why a $22,000+ Goldwing 1800 doesn`t have a gear indicator? And why do the after market suppliers only go to 2006? I just purchased a 2008 Gold Wing and am new to the Gold Wing bikes. Yes I know I have Tach and speedometer, but really on on bike like this not to have a gear indicator but do have a mp3 connector? :confused::mad:

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
my 1500 only tells me when i am in od gear

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Can anyone tell me why a $22,000+ Goldwing 1800 doesn`t have a gear indicator? And why do the after market suppliers only go to 2006? I just purchased a 2008 Gold Wing and am new to the Gold Wing bikes. Yes I know I have Tach and speedometer, but really on on bike like this not to have a gear indicator but do have a mp3 connector? :confused::mad:
I don't have an answer for you on this one. I've always been pretty much been able to tell what gear I'm in based on speed and rpm's. But there are times when a gear indicator would be nice. Perhaps the 2011 models will incorporate that item.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the 1200 aspencades, ltd, and se-i have an indicator that shows what gear your in. name another bike that has one

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
Oh come on William you're a Hawk rider. My 86 700S has a gear indicator, however I have to tell you I honestly don't know when the last tme is I looked at it.

You must become "One with the machine" ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK you guys here is the deal. I rode for a lot of years, bikes were my primary mode of transportation. I never used or needed a gear indicator. But I will do anything for my wife that she feels makes her more comfortable during this learning process. After researching I found a unit that seems to fit the bill. Manufactured by Air Rider, it's a gear indicator and volt meter. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Oh come on William you're a Hawk rider. My 86 700S has a gear indicator, however I have to tell you I honestly don't know when the last tme is I looked at it.

You must become "One with the machine" ;)
i think the 650sc have a gear indicator too but my 450 does not. my 1200a is the only bike i have or ever had with one

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have installed the Air Ride Gear/Volt indicator. With 200+ miles it has worked great. My wife thought it would be a big help to her especially at stops, when one forgets to down shift enough. Now a quick look at the gauge tells you what gear your in and the volts you have available.

The installation was a bit long as I still don't have the owners manual and used the internet to get ideas on how to remove stuff, like trim strips, the seat, and some of the many types of plastic connectors that hold the plastic in place. The instructions from Air Ride were spot on! Only one simple modification was necessary. The power plug was changed starting with the 2006 model, so I had to find an alternate source. I added a 30" length of wire to one of the plugs and routed it to the other(left) side of the bike and plugged it into the auxiliary power adapter connector. This is the stock adapter located in the left compartment of the upper faring.

Nice job Air Ride!:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have one on the 95 1500A. It sits behind me and loves to ask me if I am in the proper gear. Don't know why she is obsesed with this but I don't mind. She loves to ride.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
the 1200 aspencades, ltd, and se-i have an indicator that shows what gear your in. name another bike that has one
The early Honda Shadows had gear indicators, as did the Magnas. The Suzi GS L models all had them, and there are several more that I can't remember the makes & models.
There are quite a few 'shortcomings' that our GL's DON'T have that other brands do (can't call them competition because in Honda's convoluted ultra conservative mind they CAN'T compete with a Goldwing). We have to purchase "accessory" 12v plugs and hide them in the fairing pocket in/on the largest full fairing on any tourer on the road. We don't have even a single load CD player (again lots of room in the fairing); we have to purchase an "accessory" six pack unit (mega$$) that eats up half the trunk. We have no electric windshield (like Victory, BMW, and HONDA ST), and quite possibly the worst forks in the known world. Don't even get me started on the seat (although I admit the current perch is the best yet). My '92 came with CB, air ride adjustability, a better sound system including a cassette deck, and liners for the trunk and bags (where the hell did they go? right... "accessory" item). that's a pretty long list for a machine that costs more than all the other full dress tourers on the market except for the CVO Ultra Classic. Now that Beemer is stopping production on the K1200LT it makes me wonder what they are coming out with next, since the GL now marginally outperforms the LT (rider dependant of course). I know a fellow that is a Honda DSM and when I ask him about the cost of a Wing vs the others he smiles and says " it's more bike". Talk about swallowing the corporate BS pill. Sorry if I'm rantng here, but it really browns me off to know that a marvellous machine could be soooo much better with just a few inexpensive tweaks and significantly nicer touches!:mad:

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Sorry if I'm rantng here
Yes you are, but you know what, that's your right and what forums are all about. Not everyone will have the same opinion, we just need to be respectful of other's opinion. I personally love my Wing even with its shortcomings. No vehicle, cage or motorcycle, is perfect and yet we still buy them. We buy them for the enjoyment we get from riding them, and when the day comes that we no longer enjoy them we need to get a different one or get off all together. So feel free to rant and enjoy the ride.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Please don't misunderstand, I love my new Wing and wouldn't give it up for anything. I just find it frustrating knowing it could be so much better, for little if no extra cost. After all we are never satisfied right?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I came from an ST-1300 to my 09 GW and I could have used a gear indicator on the ST. I can't count the number of times I was stopped at a red light and go to take off and I'm in 2nd gear and stall in the intersection.:eek:
I had to learn to keep jamming the gear shifter down all the way to the stop sign to make sure that I was in 1st so I didn't do that.:confused:
My wife's Boulevard S50 could use one as well. To be fair she is still a newbie to bikes but at first she was only getting about 15 mpg which I thought was strange until I realized she was riding in 4th gear on the highway. A little too much revving for a little twin :eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Please don't misunderstand, I love my new Wing and wouldn't give it up for anything. I just find it frustrating knowing it could be so much better, for little if no extra cost. After all we are never satisfied right?
There is always room for improvement. That's why they keep bringing out new models. Who knows, 2011 models are right around the corner and maybe some of our frustrations will be eliminated. Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Snuffy
I too came from the VTX 1300 to a Wing. My vtx TOLD me when I shifted into 1st gear with a loud "Clunk" The Green Wing does the same but is a bit more "Lady like" and I have to listen for it.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
The main reason your after market guys don't offer one is that a whole lot of 2008 models have the navigation system on board and the after-market module fits in the same location in the fairing

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Snuffy
I too came from the VTX 1300 to a Wing. My vtx TOLD me when I shifted into 1st gear with a loud "Clunk" The Green Wing does the same but is a bit more "Lady like" and I have to listen for it.
It's amazing how common it appears to be to step off an ST and onto a Wing. My friend did it a couple years ago, and I did it this year after a 15 year hiatus from GL's. I test rode an ST1100 back when and really liked it. When I got rid of my custom cruiser I just had to have the 1300. Liked it a lot, but had to get back on a Wing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts