Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1984 GL1200 a couple months ago. It runs great except lately I have been noticing a gas smell in the garage. The other night I could smell it in the house so I went to the garage and found the left rear carburetor wet on the bottom. I shut the gas off and opened the doors to air things out. My question is this a stuck float or something keeping a needle valve open? And how difficult is it to just remove the left rear carb? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Sounds like a stuck float/needle valve, though it could also be a loose drain plug on the bottom of that carb. Try this, it worked to free a needle that wasn't seating on my '85 earlier this year: Get on the bike, leave it off, and rock the bike from side to side as much as you can safely; I guess the sloshing of the fuel in the bowls helps the needle find its seat.

You have to remove the whole carb set to remove individual carbs from it.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Sometimes a light tap with a screwdriver handle will free it up also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I've had this problem on lawn mowers over the years. I was hoping for an easy way to remove the carb. I'll have to look up how to get into them. This is my first GW.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Thanks, I've had this problem on lawn mowers over the years. I was hoping for an easy way to remove the carb. I'll have to look up how to get into them. This is my first GW.
I strongly recommend you bite the bullet and buy at least the Clymer manual for that bike; shop manual is even better, more thorough, but also kinda hard to find for that year anymore.

Don't just count on forums on the internet or before you know it you'll be getting advice from folks like us!:surprise::grin2:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'm with Kevin. Sound like a stuck float/ needle valve. The 1200 is a great machine and the carbs are a bit of a bear to pull. I could do it in 4 hours when I had mine. Also after pulling and reinstalling them You'll have to balance them using vacuum gauges. Its just a bit of a headache to do so but well worth it. Try pecking on the bowl with the handle of screw driver and see what happens. Seafoam is Your friend on these old 1200's. Good luck and let us know what You find.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.
I have a Hanes manual that I downloaded but I'm going to need more than that. I'll look into ordering a better one.
I have been riding the bike some and it looks like more than one carb is leaking so maybe they all need to be completely gone thru? I'm not sure I'm up to all that I don't have the tools to balance them when finished. I have never worked on carbs so I would like to find someone local to do the work for me but I don't have much confidence in the local dealer. They may not even want to work on that old of a bike anyway.
It'll cool off one of these days, maybe by then I'll figure out what I want to do.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
The 1200 carbs aren't terribly difficult to work on, more intimidating than anything, but they do have to be removed to do any work as Kevin mentioned. Something I recall from my 1200 ownership is the slides had a tendency to stick, injector cleaner (I used Bardahl) did the trick on that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a local fellow that restores older bikes to do the work. He said he's done hundreds of these carbs. He even had a couple of older GWs sitting there to be worked on. I'll drop mine off next week so he can rebuild the carbs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got the bike back. It cost a bit more than I wanted but I wanted the work done right and I think it was. He took the carbs off and run them thru an ultrasonic cleaner and replaced the floats and gasket sets, replaced the fuel filter and fuel line. He took the melted stator wire connector off and temporarily used crimp connectors to repair. I told him I could solder the wires myself (and save a bit of money). The bike runs great. The fellow was a great source of info on GW's so I'm happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts