Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What grade of gasoline do my fellow Goldwing ridders use?
My manual; '95 Goldwing Aspencade recommendes 91 octane!
I asking because of cost and performance.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
I used 87 octane in my 98 GL1500 SE. In my 09 GL1800 it calls for the same. Only restriction was for ethanol.. You could try 87 octane and see if the there is any problems with the bike. Maybe a compromise at 89 octane would work also.

·
Super Moderator
28,443 Posts
I'm an 87 guy also & have no problems with my 95. Try it your bike might like it, I know your pocket will, cause you can go farther on a buck or is it 3 bucks?:D

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... HERE IN ORYGUN OUR WONDERFUL GOVERNATOR HAS STUCK US WITH 10% ETHONOL IN ALL OUR GAS WHICH KILLS ALL FUEL MILAGE AND CAUSES ALL KINDS OF MECHANICAL PROBS. ... BUT ON A LIGHTER NOTE I HAVE USED ALL 3 GRADES OF GAS HERE AND MY 1200 RUNS FINE ON 87 OCT. REGULAR ... I DO RUN ALITTLE F/I - CARB. CLEANER THRU THE SYSTEM ABOUT EVERY 5k. AND I USE ETHONOL STABIL IF THE BIKE IS GOING TO SET FOR AWHILE ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've used nothing but premium (91 oct) in my last three bikes. The Vulcan I had to because of the performance upgrades, the ST just seemed to like it better, and I stuck with it in the Wing. The size of the fuel tank and the mileage of bikes it doesn't cause me to much $ increase versus the gains in performance and consistant fuel grades (seems to be less fluctuation in quality with the premium grade). I don't use ethanol based fuels either if I can avoid them and their running issues. Be careful if you use ethanol fuels, they can de-stabilize in as little as 3 weeks and are very prone to water (ethanol has water in it) separation/contamination/absorbtion. Ethanol based fuels are poison to two-stroke engines for that reason; I know Wings are not two-strokes lol. So for those of you who ride snowmobiles or older dirt bikes be wary. Water injestion will kill your sled or dirt bike in a heart-beat if improperly protected/set-up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts