Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another site and was wondering if you guys have any ideas. On my 96 aspy 1500 the left side of my gas tank is sucked in when I got the bike there was a problem with the gas cap,not venting causing the gas tank to get sucked in. The mount on the tank on the left side is about 2inches away. Anybody have any other ideas on how to pop it back out? Thanks in advance Hal

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have thought about using mt air compressor to pop it back out but I dont think the fuelpump would take the pressure and would get damaged,way more cost to fix. Hal

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Hal,

What you are experiencing is the current U.S. energy policy. It simply sucks, and your gas tank is yet another victim!

Just goofing around. I'm not a body man, but I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions from the GWOF membership.

Tatanka

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
i don't think the old plunger method would work on a gas tank but you could try it or head to a body shop and see if they use thos glue on rivits and how much it would cost to have your tank pulled

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
Can you not just take the pump off and go in with a stick and push from the inside.
if he's talking aboutthe 1200 wing in his avatar then there is no pump in the tank unless its an ltd or se-i

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
Can you not just take the pump off and go in with a stick and push from the inside.
might not have enough leveverage or the angel may be wrong for a stick to work

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
might not have enough leveverage or the angel may be wrong for a stick to work
It seems to me it's about a 1500, If the stick doesn't work he can always replace the pump with a plate with an air valve instald in the plate and force the tank out with air..

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Back in the "day"...body shops used to pop out dents from hail and things using "dry ice". You might go to the grocery store, buy a slab of dry ice, put it in a plastic bag, put it alongside the dent, affix it to the tank with something ( gorilla tape or ace bandage) and then wait. Let the cold of the dry ice reverse the damage. Just a thought..:D

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
You can remove the pump and maybe work the collapsed side from there. If not it would be best to remove the tank completely, but it's a fair big job. If the side of the tank is weakened from the collapse though, it could require replacement in which case the tank has to come out anyway. The breather vent will have to be dealt with in any case or it will happen again.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
I preface any statements with "I am mechanically inclined as a duck in the desert."
With that said if you are going to take the tank out why couldnt you fill it with water and freeze it????? Not all the way but enough to push the side back out. OR if it is not hurting anything then dont worry about it?? Good luck! :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is on my 1500 tried a large dowel rod thru the gas cap but no luck. I am trying not to have to take the tank out as I know its Pita!! I am going to try some sort of turn buckle in thru the hole where the fuel pump is see if I can spread it out. I do like the freezing idea tho. But it would need the tank removed,maybe water in the tank then dry ice to freeze it.If I and up pulling it I probably just get another tank and put it in. Thanks for all the suggestions. Hal P.S I did replace the gas cap as the bike would cut out on me with the old one on.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Have you considered driving it into a Auto Body Shop and asking if they can "suck" out that dent?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dreamwever I will give that some though but given that is on the left front of tank below the fuel Gage. its causing my gas gage to read wrong as it has tilted the arm on the gage. I guess I could live with it but it does cut down my fuel capacity. It will be pretty tight spot to get any thing in there. thanks Hal

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
If I recall when you remove the fuel pump there is a fair size whole in the top of the tank, to work with. If there are no Sharp creases around the edges of the dent it should come fairly easy

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just curious, what is the tank doing wrong, other than being bent ?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two guns it making the fuel sending arm with the float on it go at an angel and not straight up and down. I fill the tank up and go for a ride and then after a while it shows almost empty. Stop and fill up again only takes about 2Gal. to fill back up.Also I am losing capacity as I dont think it is able to hold the full amount of gas that it should. Hal

·
Registered
159 Posts
Two guns it making the fuel sending arm with the float on it go at an angel and not straight up and down. I fill the tank up and go for a ride and then after a while it shows almost empty. Stop and fill up again only takes about 2Gal. to fill back up.Also I am losing capacity as I dont think it is able to hold the full amount of gas that it should. Hal
Ok, now I know....
Dream Weaver stated about the dry ice method. I have heard of that before, but it's been a long time ago.
If it would not be to pricey, might be better off with a new tank, since all the trouble on has to go threw.

....... two guns

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
two guns well Ill probably end up doing that but Im going to try a couple of the things the guys came up with. Just need to get her good to go before july as Im taking it to wingding in Ft Wayne In. Hal

1 - 20 of 38 Posts