Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 06 goldwing with 186K miles with a low rpm miss when cold or hot. I have noticed that upon removing gas cap there is quite a bit of pressure coming from the tank. Is this pressure normal or could it be causing the engine to malfunction? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There should be a vent and I understand that they sometimes get clogged. I have not experienced it myself, but soon those more familiar with it will chime in.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Is it pressure, or is it vacuum? Either way, it's probably because your vent hose is mis-routed and pinched. Was any work done to the bike recently?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have a 06 goldwing with 186K miles with a low rpm miss when cold or hot. I have noticed that upon removing gas cap there is quite a bit of pressure coming from the tank. Is this pressure normal or could it be causing the engine to malfunction? Thanks for any help.
Welcome to the forum. There should be a vent and I understand that they sometimes get clogged. I have not experienced it myself, but soon those more familiar with it will chime in.
Thank you I will check that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 1991 has a stumble/miss when throttle is slightly open. clears right up if throttle is opened just a little more. Don't have this if I'm above 2250 rpms. I'm guessing vacuum line issues. This bike sat for 8 years, in the process of replacing fuel filter and plugs then check vacuum lines. My 1980 and my 1991 both have pressure when gas cap is removed. Neither one of these has a vent hose on the cap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the warm welcome; greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 1991 has a stumble/miss when throttle is slightly open. clears right up if throttle is opened just a little more. Don't have this if I'm above 2250 rpms. I'm guessing vacuum line issues. This bike sat for 8 years, in the process of replacing fuel filter and plugs then check vacuum lines. My 1980 and my 1991 both have pressure when gas cap is removed. Neither one of these has a vent hose on the cap.
I had a 1500 before and had the same problem as yours; drove me crazy. Remove left side plastic cover above the shifter there is a small curved vacuum line which had a small pin hole where it curves. Check this, just remove the small cover.That was the problem with mine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did you unplug or disturb the evap purge solenoid that hangs above the area where the coils are located? It has a two pin connector on it and it opens to vent and purge the gas tank and the evap canister of gas fumes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you unplug or disturb the evap purge solenoid that hangs above the area where the coils are located? It has a two pin connector on it and it opens to vent and purge the gas tank and the evap canister of gas fumes.
I went as far up as unhooking the cables from the coils; I didn’t touch anything above that. Honestly, it has been a wonderful bike but I am realizing that there are so many parts to this baby especially with higher mileages that it is pretty hard to analyze problems that may arise. I am seriously tempted to sell it and go to a much simpler machine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Try running it with the gas cap loose. Does it run OK? If so, it's pulling a vacuum on the tank because of the pinched vent hose.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The vent line comes from the front of the gas tank, loops left then right and runs down the right side of the air box and out to the purge solenoid, it’s easy to let it drop too far down and get smashed by the air box during an air filter change. I would check this before I sold the bike. It is a complex machine, but it’s also pretty reliable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, you are correct; complex yet reliable. Never had any problem with it in fourteen years- yes very reliable indeed. Don’t take me at my word, though, when I take her out on an open road I say to myself, sell it, I must be crazy. Last time I felt like that it was about love...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try running it with the gas cap loose. Does it run OK? If so, it's pulling a vacuum on the tank because of the pinched vent hose.
Yes, tried that already and no change at all; had thought that maybe cap small vent might have plugged up but guess not. Thank you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do you ever smell gas while riding on a hot day?.....i do and it have me worried as i smoke when i ride.....lol.
dont want to do a Ghost Rider impression

·
Registered
123 Posts
One cause of gas fumes being smelled is overfilling the gas tank. It should not be filled above the bottom of the metal sleeve in the tank or the evap system can suck liquid gas into the canister through the vent line and it will drip out onto the inside of the lower cowl and produce a gas smell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts