Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 85 SE that has been partially disassembled. The previous owner got it from his father and took it apart to clean out the gas tank, as it had been sitting for quite a while. The gas tank has rust inside as can be expected. Does anyone here know of a good product to clean and treat the tank with? Since the tank has a screen in the bottom, I am concerned with plugging that when coating the inside.

If I can do something with the tank, and get a new sending unit, I can try reassembleing it to see how it runs. With what I paid for this one I can hardly lose.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Hi Aaron,

You may want to check out the Steve Saunders GoldwingFacts.com website for "Derusting Fuel Tank" and "Electrolysis". I'll be using it soon to clean my '83 GL1100 tank.

It involves baking soda in water and then putting a metal rod in the mix with an electric source, like a charger, hooked to it and the frame or the tank. The negative charge on the rod draws all the rust to it. It's a pretty cool process and can be done with the tank in the frame. Beats pulling it and rolling sand, water and pea gravel around in it like I'd planned.

Good luck!
Kevin

·
Registered
306 Posts
I used the Kreem coating on my Shadow gas tank that I built from 2 different tanks. Coated the inside and never leaked a drop. But that involves taking the tank off of the bike.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Was going to mention that stuff yesterday, but it doesn't work on rust without the pebbles/nuts & bolts wash treatment first though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I got the bike basically in boxes, removing the tank is not an issue. The fuel sending unit is completely rusted, so I am replacing it. I am concerned with any coating plugging the screen in the bottom of the tank. I looked inside the tank as much as I can and it looks surprisingly clean. I had hoped to coat it inside and that be it, until I saw the screen. Maybe I will just try rinsing it out and installing a new fuel filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.