Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
As I tell my customers, " It's none of my business, it's only my profession.
Has it's plus and minus's. Nice part though; I still make a profit despite the times. My secret; no debt. :icon_smile_cool:

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Has it's plus and minus's. Nice part though; I still make a profit despite the times. My secret; no debt. :icon_smile_cool:
I'm paid hourly. No matter where I am or what I'm doing, between 8:00 +/- and 4:00 +/- I'm on the clock. Of course, the financial health of the company is important to me and I give gratis as needed. God bless those who want to " take care of business " , because, frankly, I'm too busy to have to worry about money.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Just topped off the wing this afternoon $3.79/gal 87octane. It's gone .30 cent in the last 2 weeks. What really frosts me is we have 3 refiners with in 50 miles.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yeah it sucks! We just jumped to $3.85 from $3.65 this morning. Just think a month and a half ago we were paying around $3.10. Can you say HOSTAGE?

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
The oil companies keep saying it has nothing to do with the price of crude. Well this proves it: oil is in the toilet right now..like $30/barrel lower than a couple months ago. They bend us over no matter what the price of a barrel of oil is. I bought gas for the sleds this morning: $1.25/litre for premium. That's $5.67.50 per Cdn gallon or $4.69 USG. I know this world needs profits to survive, it's a fact of life, but refining costs don't jump 15% when raw material prices are down. I can't eat that Elmer 'cause it's horse $hit.:Suspicious: Then I mentioned to the owner of the station this morning that they really nailed us this time. Know what the answer was? You shouldn't buy gas in the morning (I was there at 6:45), it'll drop down after lunch...it always does. What kind of BS is that fer Gawd sake? I'm gonna check the pump prices this evening on the way home I can guarantee you that. I mean it was actually only $7 more than I would have paid if the price didn't jump, but $7 every time over a year? I wish I could do that in my business: just increase the price and force my clients to pay it. I'll pay for cost increases where it's due and warranted. but this is just plain gouging, nothing else. ARGH!!!!!!!:pirate:

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Whatcom county has the highest gas prices in Washington state and we have 2 refiner here in the county. They blame the higher prices on all the Canadians coming down here to shop and buy gas. Oh freaking great, lets screw our good neighbors to the North while they are helping our economy and while we are at it lets screw the locals also.:Dang::sad:

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
We can't win Ron,they've got all of us by the short ones. They only give excuses, never truth. :finger: is the only straight answer we'll ever get.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many times it isn't the oil company, it's the distributors themselves that raise the price and the station owners can't control it either. I was a station owner and I have changed prices as many as three times in a day.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I don't know who is responsable all I know is the closer you get to the Border the higher the prices get.
Yesterday gas in Everson was $3.79 10 miles from the border, last night in Sumas it was $3.85, 500 feet from the border.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I don't know who is responsable all I know is the closer you get to the Border the higher the prices get.
Yesterday gas in Everson was $3.79 10 miles from the border, last night in Sumas it was $3.85, 500 feet from the border.
Ahh, I remember the good old days. Well, not that old. I was living in Alberta and I had a propane van. They had a gas war and I bought propane for 3 cents a liter. It was still a byproduct then. Pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Paid $3.39 for 87 octane yesterday. We're up about 35 cents a gallon over the last month.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am always amazed when people blame the politicians for the price of gas. They have no control over it. The country, thanks to certain members of congress, gives ungodly amounts of tax breaks and incentives to the oil companies, and they just screw us every chance they get. The oil companies control their prices based on demand, and what they think they can get for it. That is why the prices increase the closer you get to the borders. There are no shortages of oil or gas. The companies only release the amounts that they want to sell. They have shown record profits for the last few years, with record tax breaks. Since Christmas, the cost of my commute to work has increased from $50 a week to almost $60 a week thanks to the greedy oil companies.

I remember when it was strange for someone to use a charge card for a purchase os only a couple of dollars. I seldom go inside a gas station when I fill up, and remember when it only cost a dollar or two to fill up. Now with my Shadow, it costs me about $10-$13 to fill up, and can't wait to get one of my WIngs on the road. No problem with them taking my charge card now for gas purchases!

·
Banned
466 Posts
I have always imagined gasoline should be priced at what the market will tolerate, I mean I am a mathematician, not an economist, but I recall learning that a capitalist economy tends to increase prices for commodities until elasticity of demand reduces overall profit or until marginal costs equals marginal revenue. There seems to be very little elasticity of demand for gasoline so if I were selling it I would raise the price until consumers started to vote with their money and buy less. At $4.50/gallon in SoCal the freeways and parking lots just like when it was $3.50/gallon. My observation a couple of years ago was traffic thinned out a little when gasoline went over $5.00.

Oil companies are not people, they are economic animals that serve their shareholders first and at the expense of all others. This is capitalism.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
I am always amazed when people blame the politicians for the price of gas. They have no control over it. The country, thanks to certain members of congress, gives ungodly amounts of tax breaks and incentives to the oil companies, and they just screw us every chance they get. The oil companies control their prices based on demand, and what they think they can get for it. That is why the prices increase the closer you get to the borders. There are no shortages of oil or gas. The companies only release the amounts that they want to sell. They have shown record profits for the last few years, with record tax breaks. Since Christmas, the cost of my commute to work has increased from $50 a week to almost $60 a week thanks to the greedy oil companies.

I remember when it was strange for someone to use a charge card for a purchase os only a couple of dollars. I seldom go inside a gas station when I fill up, and remember when it only cost a dollar or two to fill up. Now with my Shadow, it costs me about $10-$13 to fill up, and can't wait to get one of my WIngs on the road. No problem with them taking my charge card now for gas purchases!
:bsflag:

The gross margins on a gallon of gasoline are a mere fraction of the federal and state taxes on same!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have always imagined gasoline should be priced at what the market will tolerate, I mean I am a mathematician, not an economist, but I recall learning that a capitalist economy tends to increase prices for commodities until elasticity of demand reduces overall profit or until marginal costs equals marginal revenue. There seems to be very little elasticity of demand for gasoline so if I were selling it I would raise the price until consumers started to vote with their money and buy less. At $4.50/gallon in SoCal the freeways and parking lots just like when it was $3.50/gallon. My observation a couple of years ago was traffic thinned out a little when gasoline went over $5.00.

Oil companies are not people, they are economic animals that serve their shareholders first and at the expense of all others. This is capitalism.
If you notice, the prices on gas always change at times of increased travel. A few years ago, when the prices got really high the travelling dropped off during holidays and vacation periods. I think that the oil companies got a message and have adjusted their price adjustments accordingly.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought members of Congress were Politicians, so if certain members of Congress are facilitating higher prices by allowing incentives and tax breaks then Congress is partially responsible. I will also point-out that our Congress has the power to allow domestic oil production that would lessen our dependence on foreign oil and enable some Congressional controls on fuel prices.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts