Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

stuff

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fossil92 
#1 ·
I just bought my 1999 1500 SE a couple of weeks ago and just checked my mpg today. After a 90 mile trip with my wife on the back, I got just under 30 mpg. Most of our trip was on the freeway at an average speed of about 75 (a few spurts up to 85). And, as mentioned in a previous post, the bike smells of gas fumes, both on warm-up and after riding (when choke is off).

Bike has 100,000 miles. It runs fine, but I'm wondering if it needs to have carbs overhauled and/or a tune up. Any advice?

Thanks,
Rick

#2 ·
A couple things Rick. It is possible that you may need some carb work ie: syncing or rebuilding. It is also possible that the vacuum petcock assy. needs to be rebuilt. That is the siver device in the fuel door access that has the vacuum hoses hooked to it.

I don't think your fuel mileage is bad for the speeds you were going. Here's what works best for fuel mileage on the 1500. Keep the tach below 3k which will equate to about 68 mph. Then you will see your 40 or higher mpg. The fuel mileage drops signifincatly on a 1500 once you get above 3K. As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

#3 ·
Hey Fossil has hit the nail on the head.......so to speak...LOL.

I would check the petcock assembly and see if there is any signs of gas coming from under it. It has a small weep hole like the water pump does and if it is going bad that is where the fuel would be coming from. Had to replace mine about a month ago. Good luck on a rebuild kit though....they are hard to come by. You may have to get a whole new assembly. They have them here.....www.cyclemaxohio.com They have a policy that if it is on their website then it is in stock. Look under maintance section for it.

#5 · (Edited)
98 & 99 should be the same repair kit. Check with these guys for any parts Gold Wing related
http://www.vencowings.com/
For the poor gas mileage I would check the plugs, air filter and fuel filter, If you have a bigger than stock windshield on the bike that will affect MPG's also. and as stated before, once you get over 3000 RPM's you mileage will drop. But I think 30 MPG is way low,

#6 ·
Thanks, Joe. I believe the replacement screen is the same size as the original, but I've suspected the plugs and filters might be at fault. I'll check out that website you provided.

I'm having no luck finding a repair kit for the petcock assembly. None for my '99, but some for earlier year 1500s. There are some listed online for Valkyrie in my bike's year - would those work?

I would appreciate any additional suggestions. You've all been very kind.

Thanks,
Rick

#7 ·
Rick, I know it doesn't make sense that there would not be one available for a newer bike. It sure doesn't make sense to me. Here's a link to a site. Maybe call these guys (great people have dealt with them before) & ask. This is the breakdown that shows the assembly (item4) & they list the whole assembly but no kit. I would call them and ask the question. Good Luck.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1999&fveh=3495

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.