Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to get about 40 mpg most of the time on the road at speeds of 70 mph or so with my '10 Goldwing and with the '02 Concours. An 8 year spread and two different types of bikes, but similar mileage.

Is it my faulty thinking that the 8 year difference should have resulted in higher mpg by now? A Camaro with a 300 hp engine is rated at 29 on the highway, and even the 400+ hp version is 24 mpg highway. The Goldwing engine is far from that hp or pushing that kind of weight and bulk through the wind.

It seems that Honda, and the rest of the motorcycle manufacturers, are not improving mileage. It also seems like an additional gear on the Wing would be nice to get the RPMs down at higher speeds.

... and not I'm not interested in riding a Mo-Ped. ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Gas Emissions restrictions would be my guess, basic engine sign of wing is same on GL1800 for the years you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I think that a motorcycle isn't easy to push through the air. A car is better designed as far as pushing through the air. I also think 40 mpg from a 1800 6 motorcycle isn't too bad. I have had a honda sabre 700 return 40 mpg and most times return 45 mpg. There are not many times that I get 40 mpg out of my 1200 wing. Eric

·
Registered
36 Posts
On my bike vacation this year, I drove 1200 miles following a friend of mine going the speed limit (ugh!!) I did achieve a consistant 44 mpg on my new wing. Almost as good as my Prius.

WeldNut

·
Banned
74 Posts
On my bike vacation this year, I drove 1200 miles following a friend of mine going the speed limit (ugh!!) I did achieve a consistant 44 mpg on my new wing. Almost as good as my Prius.

WeldNut
I just bought a new 2010 a few months ago now...and found one thing out. If the RPM's are at 3,000 or higher...you MPG will be at 40or less. HOWEVER if you put it in top gear and SLOW it down to about 50 to 55 MPG so the RPM's are between 2,000 and tops 2,500 then you will get about 5 MPG more...!

Me thinks that the engine is maybe not breathing as well at 3,000 and up....maybe needs a new cam shaft for more lift.....? I do not know as the engine has NO shortage on power....but the sweat spot for best MPG is at about 2,200 to 2,400 RPM's for the best MPG. I have put this to the test...and it really does bump my MPG up...at least on my bike it did. ( 2010 GL1800 )

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
My average is between 40 - 45 mpg on the interstate keeping the Wing at about 3k rpms. On the back roads at 50 - 60 I have gotten close to 50 mpg.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I only got 35 mpg on my Volusia and people were claiming to get 45. I get 40 on my wing.

I think my mileage is off cuz I tend to use the throttle as an on off switch. And I am big enough that the bike thinks it is riding 2 up full time.

Larry

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Your mileage is consistant with what most are getting. I run at 3000 to 3200 most of the time and get about 44 Cdn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts