Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
As others have said, check tire pressure and I think most of us find better handling with the tires a couple pounds over for both front and back (my E4s definitely do) will help with the mileage, about once a month I run Seafoam thru the tank, and most of all it is hard to keep from getting cramps in the right wrist when you realize just how quick these big bikes are. I've got an 89 and if I keep the wrist cramps under control and keep the speed below 60 I will get around 42-43 mpg.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
in or on anything you drive.......... fuel mileage is at the mercy of speed
once you start to go over that magic speed where you get your absolute best mileage..........
every mph over that starts to make a bigger and bigger difference in fuel economy......simple physics (well maybe not so simple, but it will always be there) aerodynamic drag....... that is why for the longest they thought it was impossible for a plane or anything to break the sound barrier...... it takes so much power to punch through that wall of air... if you watch a video of it...... you can see when a jet does it.

after that it is just finding the little things about your set of wheels to get the most of the mpg... do you ease through the gears or power through them, my truck does better if you get it up to high gear as soon as possible (most work that way)..... Then we just have to decide which is more important........speed or economy.

I usually feel it safer to run with traffic, 75mph, at that I get 36-38mpg
But I know from riding in large charity rides........if I run 50-55mph I CAN get 45mpg.
To borrow the words from the song "I can't drive 55"......... I tend to the 75-78mph range. Since 99% of the time I am running by myself one up.

But as I said in an earlier post, my ride likes to have the ECM reset twice a year April and October, for around here, the temps start to make a drastic change.

Reactions: Luv2fish and dwade

·
Registered
270 Posts
being that you changed the air filter and all........... and being that I am sure you drive differently than the PO....

It helped mine when I first bought it to do an ECM reboot.......... easy to do

put bike on center stand
then with out touching anything......... start the bike...... dont touch anything
as soon as the fans come on (takes a while) kill it......... wait about 15-20 seconds.... and restart it and take it for a little spin....... done

I have to do that to mine as the seasons change to even out the stumble off choke that it gets some times.
Do you use the kill switch or turn the key off?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
key................... for the reset it takes using the key

side note................ I never use the kill switch......... I always turn mine off with the key

·
Registered
270 Posts
key................... for the reset it takes using the key

side note................ I never use the kill switch......... I always turn mine off with the key
same here but I have turned the kill switch off accidentally when placing my helmet over the bar and it always takes me a minute or two to figure it out LOL

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
funny you should mention that..................... just got through washing and quick waxing all of our vehicles....
went to pull the wing back in the garage and it wouldn't start........................... kill switch during wash job

·
Registered
770 Posts
As far as the kill switch, exercise it once it a while. The contacts in the switch have a habit of corroding from lack of use causing no start problems.
Turn it on and off about 20 times every so often to keep the contacts clean.

I also reset the ECM often. Especially if I have taken a long trip, hundreds of miles, and then come home and do the shorter trips. The ECM learns the way you have ridden.

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I ride in the Texas Hill Country, my speeds will vary from 75 to 40ish. I start off with a full tank and fill-up within 5 miles of the house after usually traveling 215 miles. I keep track of all my fill-ups. I range from 39-42 mpg. But, my speedometer is off by 5.5% reading high so I assume my odometer is off by the same 5.5%. So multiplying the 215 times 1.055 equates to about 227 miles driven. So maybe my mpg should be about 41 - 44 mpg.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently bought a used 2018 tour dct. Mostly I drive in economy mode, but a couple of times per fill up I will run it through the modes (sport for fun). The bike has told me on the last two fill ups that I was getting 51 mpg. I doubted that so on the last fill up I checked the gallons used vrs. miles driven, and I came up with 51.1. Looks like the bike mpg and the actual mpg are almost dead on on my bike. I was very pleasantly surprised with the mileage. most of my driving is at about 5,000‘ elevation and up when I’m going over some of the eastern sierra passes. I use the lowest octane gas available. Next tank I may try a mid range octane gas to see if it makes any difference. To be fair, I do watch how I use the throttle. If I punched it more often, I’m sure the mpg would drop down to 46 / 48 range.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently bought a used 2018 tour dct. Mostly I drive in economy mode, but a couple of times per fill up I will run it through the modes (sport for fun). The bike has told me on the last two fill ups that I was getting 51 mpg. I doubted that so on the last fill up I checked the gallons used vrs. miles driven, and I came up with 51.1. Looks like the bike mpg and the actual mpg are almost dead on on my bike. I was very pleasantly surprised with the mileage. most of my driving is at about 5,000‘ elevation and up when I’m going over some of the eastern sierra passes. I use the lowest octane gas available. Next tank I may try a mid range octane gas to see if it makes any difference. To be fair, I do watch how I use the throttle. If I punched it more often, I’m sure the mpg would drop down to 46 / 48 range.
Wholly crackers... you sure that's not down hill MPG. Sorry for having a little fun, but that is really great. I get 38 MPG on my 2012.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Using lower grade gasoline makes for lower MPG as well. I can get more miles out of a tank from 91 octane, than 87 octane.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
on my 2013 it makes absolutely no difference in the fuel mileage with the different grades of gas
now alcohol free gets better mileage........... but not available here any longer

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
now on my old 1980 suzuki 550..... it made a big difference
regular leaded = 45mpg
regular unleaded = 50 mpg
super unleaded = 55 mpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Grandpa Troy. GW 2006, I get 186 miles to the tank of E10 (95 Octane) exactly 300 km between refills, run tyres at 39/39 psi, have the screen high. Flat roads here also.
I to was surprised on my very first ride home 1,1100 km, how many times I needed to pull in, but as it happens in Australia that's exactly 3 hours of riding (If done legally) time for a break in any case!
After my first ride I decided, hey at 480 Kg's for the bike, and me on top of that (Cough*** another 138 Kg) The Bike and I are doing OK! But you really do need to plan your off highway road trips for sure. Not fun when the GO juice, runs out, especially in the dark. Been there only the once so far.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
, my speedometer is off by 5.5% reading high so I assume my odometer is off by the same 5.5%.
You can check odometer against mile markers on e-way check odometer reading at one and again at next, do this for several markers. I have done this with mine, while speedo is off the common amount odometer seems pretty darn close. Could also do so with GPS.

With that being said, I just made a day trip to Mackinaw City, 476 miles round trip. I ran between 55 to 65 mph on two lanes and 75 by speedo, so some where around 70 actual (3100 to 3200 rpm) on E-ways and a little stop and go (construction and small towns) and averaged 40 mpg riding two up. 87 octane with what ever % ethanol Michigan gas has. Ethanol % is not on most pumps here just says it may be as much as 10%, so who knows.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Grandpa Troy. GW 2006, I get 186 miles to the tank of E10 (95 Octane) exactly 300 km between refills, run tyres at 39/39 psi, have the screen high. Flat roads here also.
I to was surprised on my very first ride home 1,1100 km, how many times I needed to pull in, but as it happens in Australia that's exactly 3 hours of riding (If done legally) time for a break in any case!
After my first ride I decided, hey at 480 Kg's for the bike, and me on top of that (Cough*** another 138 Kg) The Bike and I are doing OK! But you really do need to plan your off highway road trips for sure. Not fun when the GO juice, runs out, especially in the dark. Been there only the once so far.
Any where i go ....by 1/2 tank im already looking and making plans to pull to fill up ...but cant complain about my 86 gw , 1200, aspencade, $ 9 to fill up ...

21 - 38 of 38 Posts