Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Got to take my 2003 Wing for a trip to Indiana from Cleveland. 320 1 way . Filled up my gas with low grade. I was able to get to Port Clinton B4 I have to fill up again. I was on the highway running at about 75. My trip gage said that I only got 168 miles for that tank of gas. I fulled up and went to Indiana and had to fill up again around 160 miles.

I changed the oil and new air filter but still only getting low gas mileage. I was the only rider on the bike and it was all high way miles. Is that normal? What kind of milage should I be expecting?

Thank you
Grandpa Troy

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Not sure how many gallons you put in the bike but if I run 50-55 MPH I get about 42-45 MPG. If I run 70-75 I’ll only get 36-40. Hope this helps.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
2012 GL1800 providing 38 MPG on highway but not at normal posted speeds on open road. Could probably get better!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How or what do I need to do to better the fuel mileage? I put a little Sea Fom in the gas when I first bought it 3 weeks ago. Thought if it had been setting for a bit that would help. Did complete oil change. Full synthetic 10-40 motorcycle oil. I have no hesitation or sputtering. Ideals great. No gas smell

·
Super Moderator
11,511 Posts
How many gallons did it take on each fill up? If it only required four gallons, you were getting average mpg.
The main things that will affect fuel mileage are speed and drag. Has the brake recall been done?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Huge windshields and wind wings will hurt fuel mileage, as well as high ethanol gas, which has a lot less energy per volume than gasoline. Also, running in 4th gear instead of 5th is rumored to decrease mpg as well. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many gallons did it take on each fill up? If it only required four gallons, you were getting average mpg.
The main things that will affect fuel mileage are speed and drag. Has the brake recall been done?
I'm not sure if that has been done. I just bought the bike 3 weeks ago. I will check on that asap

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Huge windshields and wind wings will hurt fuel mileage, as well as high ethanol gas, which has a lot less energy per volume than gasoline. Also, running in 4th gear instead of 5th is rumored to decrease mpg as well. ;)
Ok Thanks. My 1100 Shadow I was getting well over 350 miles to a tank of gas..

·
Registered
86 Posts
How or what do I need to do to better the fuel mileage? I put a little Sea Fom in the gas when I first bought it 3 weeks ago. Thought if it had been setting for a bit that would help. Did complete oil change. Full synthetic 10-40 motorcycle oil. I have no hesitation or sputtering. Ideals great. No gas smell
I don't mean to insult but you do know how to calculate fuel mileage right? Distance traveled divided by gallons used.
168 miles divided by 4.5 gallons of fuel would give you 37.3 MPG.

Reactions: Fla wing

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure how many gallons you put in the bike but if I run 50-55 MPH I get about 42-45 MPG. If I run 70-75 I’ll only get 36-40. Hope this helps.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the info. I will keep better track of my speed and see what I get

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
being that you changed the air filter and all........... and being that I am sure you drive differently than the PO....

It helped mine when I first bought it to do an ECM reboot.......... easy to do

put bike on center stand
then with out touching anything......... start the bike...... dont touch anything
as soon as the fans come on (takes a while) kill it......... wait about 15-20 seconds.... and restart it and take it for a little spin....... done

I have to do that to mine as the seasons change to even out the stumble off choke that it gets some times.

Reactions: dwade

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did the same to my 86 gold wing ....i put hi test ...and she ran better , no combustion in the carb and in my garage no gas smell ...things that make you go hmmmmmm safe riding

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Thank you for the info. I will keep better track of my speed and see what I get
Also, I get less mileage than some of the folks that I ride with because I tend to hang in 4th gear a lot longer than they do. I usually shift from 4th gear about 45 MPH. I don't recall what the owner's manual said about optimum shifting for best mileage but it was much lower, somewhere around 30 MPH you should already be in 5th gear. I didn't like the feel and I don't care as much about mileage, so I shift much later.

Good luck and it is all part of the ride.

Steve

·
Premium Member
23,706 Posts
The tank capacity is 6.6 gallons. When you reach the low fuel light, you have a gallon ( give or take ) left in the tank.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Because of the lack of a 6th gear these bikes get lower mileage than many people you will be riding with and/or previous bikes you have owned. 60 mph and down the do really well but when you ride for extended time at 75 or so that mileage drops significantly. I experience the same thing on my 08. I have gotten any where from 160 miles on a tank up to 240 on a tank. Just the nature of the beast. Big motor/heavy bike/5 gears.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts