Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Been loving the new to me Wing.
I have one concern.
I have a 1992 1500. The gas guage seems to be telling me I am going through fuel a bit on the fast side.
It has not become a scientific study yet but I was just wondering if the 1500 wings were fast to get to half a tank and then slow the rest of the tank?
I was thinking that I set the trip meter shortly after filling up...like 4 miles down the road. The trip says a little over a hundred miles and I am below half a tank by the meter. 200 miles per tank is not what I was expecting from the wing.
I have not been keeping track and most of my rides have been short so I have not been able to get a handle on gas mileage.

What about the rest of you? How many miles do you normally get out of a tank? What kind of mileage are you calculating?

Thanks, in advance.

JJ

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
I Get around 40 mpg, with real easy riding I can get 43 mpg.

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
When the gauge shows empty...... you still have 2 gallons of fuel on board. I suggest filling it up completely then run it to the empty mark then fill it. Your tank holds 6.2 gallons. Most usable.

I get 40 mpg on my 94 1500. 38 mpg 2up pulling a trailer. I ride by the odometer otherwise I fill up every 150 miles.

·
Super Moderator
28,494 Posts
JJ, the range the guys stated is about right for me. The only thing I'll add is to be a happy camper with your fuel mileage. Shift the 1500 in the 2k range & keep your rpms below 3k. That's the key. Once you start cruising above 3k you will see a significant fall off in fuel range. That's not so easy when you're cruising some big states & everyone else is doing 80mph but you'll be saving fuel. Another thing you can do is not blip your throttle like some do. That will also help.

When I first bought my 1500 I wanted to make sure my reserve light was working so I put a 1 gallon gas tank in the trunk & rode. The light came on around the 200 mile mark, I kept riding & right around 230 I decided I was satisfied & fueled. I ride by my odometer rarely look at my fuel guage & when in an area with sparse fuel stations will fuel up when I can, even if I only put on 80-100 miles. That way if the next one that's maybe up the road 75 miles is closed you're covered.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
On the 1200 I get around 40mpg lower 2 up. I never seem to keep the shifting below 3500 rpm lol go figure!

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
I only get 35 mpg with my 95 Aspencade. There's a lengthy discussion os the Saunders site about adding 2 cycle motor oil to your fuel and increasing fuel mileage by 2 mpg. I"m an aggressive rider as I suspect I could improve my numbers.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
The first time I took a long ride with my 1500 I noticed about 100 miles into the trip that the gauge was on empty and we were still about 30 miles from the closest gas station.......freaked me out to say the least but when I got to a station and filled up I could only put 4.3 gal in meaning that there was almost 2 gal of fuel left in the tank even though the gauge showed empty. I have yet to see the fuel light come on but it is a little unnerving to see the gauge sitting on empty.

I think that it is just a trait of the 1500

·
Registered
673 Posts
The old Green Wing (95 Aspy) got about 45 mpg if I rode 68mph or lower on a day with no wind. At 75+ or a good head wind it went as low as 35. After a couple hours on the road it is time to stretch my old legs and re hydrate. At that time my "Cage" was a V6 Honda Acorde which got about the same mileage.
Lil Red seems to get better than that. However, I still take a break at about 100 miles and top her off. She seems to be much less affected by wind. Now my cage is a Honda Pilot giving me about 20 mpg onless I an trailering the bike.

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
the fuel guage on wings is not the most accurite guage there is. most people on the forums were saying that the guage was on " e " and there was about two gallons in the tank and mine was no exception

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for making me feel better, everyone.
I figured I had gas left in the tank when the guage read empty...just not knowing how much. I will be paying more attention to how much I put in when it gets to empty.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

JJ

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Figure out what you average mpg is then use you odometer to decide when you need gas.
Ie: average 40 mpg you go 120 miles , you used 3 gals. 3 left.
When I notice the gauge getting low I check to see how far I've gone.
Works for me.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
I'm fairly consistant at mid 40's on my GL1800. I tend to keep her under or around 3k rpms. On my GL1500 I could nurse between 45-48 MPG. Once coming back from MI in 25 degree weather and going 75-80 mph I got 22 mpg.

So the bottom line is speed/rpm's makes a big difference in mileage. I tend to use Ron's method and just "assume" 40 mpg and fill up around the 160-180 mile mark.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Having had my 1990 1500 GL SE for about 2 months now with 400 plus miles I'm getting 42 ish so far. Now I'm not a hard rider- must be the years in the motor home saving every ounce of gas I could. LOL! My thinking unless I'm going the store on the cruiser I'm on vacation so the hurry is over for the week? What ya think? :D:cool:;):)

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
I ride to what is happening at the time. If I can knock over more mile in the daylight and get away from the roo's the gas mileage get throwen to the wind. It goes the same way if I am out having some fun. But I never get the mileage that some of you get. With my 1200 I get 38 most of the time. Eric

·
Registered
780 Posts
My 93 gets 25(riding two up. pulling the trailer and rpm above 3,000 on the highway) to 44 on group rides. I did get 42.5 mpg two up pulling a trailer across the Blue Ridge Parkway, no stop signs, one traffic light(due to road construction) at about 35mph. So when my fuel gauge goes toward "E", between 150-200 miles, I'm looking for gas. Sure don't want to push that beast or throw out a thrumb to get to a gas station. And I don't want those H-D riders to have a good chuckle as they pass me by!!!

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Personally, I don't really care all that much what my fuel mileage is because it's 3x more than my diesel truck and the same as our Honda Civic. In other words it's one of my highest fuel mileage vehicles that I own but I don't hold back when I ride. When I'm in traffic I usually pull away from the group of cars and find my sweet spot away from the crowd. For that reason my fuel mileage suffers slightly but I'm ok with that. It's sometimes a war on the road with cagers and I ride strong to stay alive. On the open road I'll throttle back as my preference is about 65mph on long stretches. On the super slab my cruise control is factory per-set at 75 which is what I ride. Running a shorter profile c/t also raises my rpm which also may account for my 35 mpg.

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
Fossil's idea bout a gas can on board is good. When I was traveling the us / Mexico border in Dec. I carried a quart fuel bottle of gas. Laugh..... but a quart will get you 11 or 12 miles down the road if you nurse it along at 35 or 40 mph. It just felt good to know it was in the saddlebag. Never did have to use it but burned it up after getting back in more populated area.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
My recent long ride..1500 miles in less than 24 ..I figured out my mileage and it did not impress me...but I was doing speeds of 85 to 100 over a good perioid of time...my average speed for the day with stops was 67.5 ...so the sad arse mileage is understandable...it was 35 miles per gallon....:eek: this is why it is better to go at slower speeds....which I new..but I wanted to see what she could do..:D

and by the way I just found out that I am going to be a grandpa again...for those of you who think I am a youngster......lol but it aint going to slow me down.....

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Congratulations on becoming a grandfather. And I am impressed with 35 mpg at those speeds. I got 30 mpg at 85 mph on the 1200. Eric

1 - 19 of 19 Posts