Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gas milage?

4K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  LarryinSeattle 
AVERAGE is determined by how hard you twist the throttle, :)
Most will get about 40 MPG. I got about 40 - 42 with both my 02 and 08 Wing. When I was in Colorado at high altitudes, about 6000 ft + I was getting 50 MPG all the time. You have 8515 in Morrison Co, you will probably get 50 MPG at that altitude.
Funny you would mention the mileage in Colorado. I was in Buena Vista, alt 8,600 and I was getting 50 mpg. For a while I thought my calculator was broke or somebody was putting in gas when I wasn't around. And the gas was only 84 octane. Crazy but true...:D

Do you remember when you could buy a gallon of milk for 25 cents??
I remember and sold gallons and gallons of gas at 12 to 19 cents per gallon. Hamburger, fries and a coke cost 50 cents. Coffee was 5 cents a cup and unlimited refills. Yep, those were the days. Course lets not forget I worked a 12 hour day at the Gulf station and got $3.87 take home.

Dreamweaver, to start with you've gotta be older than dirt:D

I pumped gas at my family's Sinclair station in downtown Miami, I started at 9yrs of age, (learned how to drive too) and I think gas was 29.9 cents per gallon. During the gas wars, independent dealers against the oil company outlets I did see gas get down to 19.9 a gallon.

Burger King had just arrived in Miami, one block from my dad's gas station. My lunch was a Whopper and fries. The coke didn't cost anything, I sort of "borrowed" a soda when my dad wasn't looking. If I'm not mistaken I only got .50 cents for lunch. I only had to work Saturday from opening at 07:00am to closing at 11:00pm, I came to work with my dad, my older brother came on duty at 5:00pm and I worked the night shift with him. Oh, I did'nt get paid...my dad said that I had food to eat, clothes on my back and a roof over my head - three hots and a cot so to speak.:rolleyes:

I got my calculator out and figured you made about .32 cents per hour, hard too believe. You should file a lawsuit against your old employer:) Some of my best memories were made working in that gas station in the early 50's.

I just filled up my Wing and spent $22.38. Normally I get 36 miles to the gallon at speed, 78mph for me. However, while on the Blue Ridge Parkway, adhering to the speed limit I did get 42mph.

When in the military, Gulf was the only credit card I had. Back then Holiday Inn honored the card and my wife and I travelled back and forth across the USA in a Chevrolet using the Guld card for gas and lodging.

Hope I didn't boor you too much, read the post and the memories started filling my head...I much be getting old - Too!:D
Didn't bother me at all. Yes, it took me all my life but I finally reached that "magic" age....69. It's kind of funny that back then, we didn't have anything, but we didn't know it as being anything different from anyone else. It was a simpler time at least from my perspective. We ate and were always full and there was a lot of laughter both inside and outside the house. We had family reunions and they were the greatest. Who has those today? We had chores and who has those today. I cut grass to make extra money and charged 1 dollar and furnished the mower and rake and broom. Dang mower was a push mower too, not one of those fancy gas powered things. Anyway, when times get hard its nice to have those memories to ease back into and hear the glass packs rumble if only in your mind. We all are getting old and remember that the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.