Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group.

I took my 2010 Wing out for my first long ride this weekend ( about 200 miles ). At 155 miles I stopped for gas. 3.07 gallons. That works out to a shade over 50 miles to the gallon. Is that average? I never got more than 43 mpg out of my VTX 1800.

Michaelj

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Hi group.

I took my 2010 Wing out for my first long ride this weekend ( about 200 miles ). At 155 miles I stopped for gas. 3.07 gallons. That works out to a shade over 50 miles to the gallon. Is that average? I never got more than 43 mpg out of my VTX 1800.

Michaelj
Wow....you must have had a tailwind & went down hill all the way....LOL. Best I've ever gotten was 41mpg & as of late with this winter blend 38mpg.

Mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was riding 2up, mostly back roads. Will check it again next ride. Thanks for your reply. I thought that was kind of high.

Michaelj

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
AVERAGE is determined by how hard you twist the throttle, :)
Most will get about 40 MPG. I got about 40 - 42 with both my 02 and 08 Wing. When I was in Colorado at high altitudes, about 6000 ft + I was getting 50 MPG all the time. You have 8515 in Morrison Co, you will probably get 50 MPG at that altitude.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
I am mostly about 38mpg one or two up. One up on the interstate I ride about 87 two up about 78. I remember when $5.00 worth of gas was all you needed for the day. :mad: Ride safe

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Do you remember when you could buy a gallon of milk for 25 cents??
WOW! Taken a shot from good ole CA...LOL :D I can remember when a guy dressed in all white and drove a truck usually with a cow on it, (aka the MILK MAN!) brought milk to my grandmothers house and dropped it off in a metal box. Dont know what she paid for it??? May have been a quarter??

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Hi group.

I took my 2010 Wing out for my first long ride this weekend ( about 200 miles ). At 155 miles I stopped for gas. 3.07 gallons. That works out to a shade over 50 miles to the gallon. Is that average?
Doesn't sound right according to what most folks report. Are you filling up the gas tank from the centerstand? Seems like it takes quite a bit of bumping the valve lever on my 95 Wing to really top it off to get an accurate reading that is consistent each time. And what you might do is take 3 or 4 readings back to back for comparison. It is possible you could have gotten that once however average it over several fill ups. If you are getting close to that mileage you must be very very conservative with your riding style.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
AVERAGE is determined by how hard you twist the throttle, :)
Most will get about 40 MPG. I got about 40 - 42 with both my 02 and 08 Wing. When I was in Colorado at high altitudes, about 6000 ft + I was getting 50 MPG all the time. You have 8515 in Morrison Co, you will probably get 50 MPG at that altitude.
Funny you would mention the mileage in Colorado. I was in Buena Vista, alt 8,600 and I was getting 50 mpg. For a while I thought my calculator was broke or somebody was putting in gas when I wasn't around. And the gas was only 84 octane. Crazy but true...:D

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Do you remember when you could buy a gallon of milk for 25 cents??
I remember and sold gallons and gallons of gas at 12 to 19 cents per gallon. Hamburger, fries and a coke cost 50 cents. Coffee was 5 cents a cup and unlimited refills. Yep, those were the days. Course lets not forget I worked a 12 hour day at the Gulf station and got $3.87 take home.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I usually get in the 42 - 45 range, but I tend to be conservative in my driving (unless I'm following Fossil)...

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
I remember and sold gallons and gallons of gas at 12 to 19 cents per gallon. Hamburger, fries and a coke cost 50 cents. Coffee was 5 cents a cup and unlimited refills. Yep, those were the days. Course lets not forget I worked a 12 hour day at the Gulf station and got $3.87 take home.
i remember when gas was free .... then my dad started making me use my own money to buy it :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doesn't sound right according to what most folks report. Are you filling up the gas tank from the centerstand? Seems like it takes quite a bit of bumping the valve lever on my 95 Wing to really top it off to get an accurate reading that is consistent each time. And what you might do is take 3 or 4 readings back to back for comparison. It is possible you could have gotten that once however average it over several fill ups. If you are getting close to that mileage you must be very very conservative with your riding style.
I fill on the kickstand and also keep clicking the gas hose until it fills into the neck of the tank. I have only put about 400 miles on the bike since buying it, so this is my first milage check. I am a conservative rider with a speed and riding style control unit mounted on the back seat (Wife) Also, with the power of this bike, when riding, I find that I am staying in 5th gear most of the time, clear down to 30mph and back up to highway speed. I think that also helps. I'm still learning what this bike can do, as it is way different from my VTX 1800.
Thanks for everyone's coments

Michaelj

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a trike kit on my 1989 GL1500 and typically got 35-38mpg depending on how hard I twisted the throttle. Lately, though, MPGs slipped to 28mpg and there was a smell of gas, so I sent her to the motorcycle sanitorium for rehabilitation. She's been there for 3 weeks this coming Friday. I anticipate medical bills to be high so I'm not in a rush to bring her home prematurely. She needs to heal up such that there are no more emotional outbursts of burning too much fuel or passing gas in my garage :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Pulling a trailer and over 3,000 rpm, watch the gas guage go over to empty quick. 25-32 mpg. Mostly 38-42 mpg on a GL1500. Secret is keeping the rpm's below 3,000.

·
Registered
256 Posts
God Bless Gulf Gas Credit Cards

Dreamweaver, to start with you've gotta be older than dirt:D

I pumped gas at my family's Sinclair station in downtown Miami, I started at 9yrs of age, (learned how to drive too) and I think gas was 29.9 cents per gallon. During the gas wars, independent dealers against the oil company outlets I did see gas get down to 19.9 a gallon.

Burger King had just arrived in Miami, one block from my dad's gas station. My lunch was a Whopper and fries. The coke didn't cost anything, I sort of "borrowed" a soda when my dad wasn't looking. If I'm not mistaken I only got .50 cents for lunch. I only had to work Saturday from opening at 07:00am to closing at 11:00pm, I came to work with my dad, my older brother came on duty at 5:00pm and I worked the night shift with him. Oh, I did'nt get paid...my dad said that I had food to eat, clothes on my back and a roof over my head - three hots and a cot so to speak.:rolleyes:

I got my calculator out and figured you made about .32 cents per hour, hard too believe. You should file a lawsuit against your old employer:) Some of my best memories were made working in that gas station in the early 50's.

I just filled up my Wing and spent $22.38. Normally I get 36 miles to the gallon at speed, 78mph for me. However, while on the Blue Ridge Parkway, adhering to the speed limit I did get 42mph.

When in the military, Gulf was the only credit card I had. Back then Holiday Inn honored the card and my wife and I travelled back and forth across the USA in a Chevrolet using the Guld card for gas and lodging.

Hope I didn't boor you too much, read the post and the memories started filling my head...I much be getting old - Too!:D

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Dreamweaver, to start with you've gotta be older than dirt:D

I pumped gas at my family's Sinclair station in downtown Miami, I started at 9yrs of age, (learned how to drive too) and I think gas was 29.9 cents per gallon. During the gas wars, independent dealers against the oil company outlets I did see gas get down to 19.9 a gallon.

Burger King had just arrived in Miami, one block from my dad's gas station. My lunch was a Whopper and fries. The coke didn't cost anything, I sort of "borrowed" a soda when my dad wasn't looking. If I'm not mistaken I only got .50 cents for lunch. I only had to work Saturday from opening at 07:00am to closing at 11:00pm, I came to work with my dad, my older brother came on duty at 5:00pm and I worked the night shift with him. Oh, I did'nt get paid...my dad said that I had food to eat, clothes on my back and a roof over my head - three hots and a cot so to speak.:rolleyes:

I got my calculator out and figured you made about .32 cents per hour, hard too believe. You should file a lawsuit against your old employer:) Some of my best memories were made working in that gas station in the early 50's.

I just filled up my Wing and spent $22.38. Normally I get 36 miles to the gallon at speed, 78mph for me. However, while on the Blue Ridge Parkway, adhering to the speed limit I did get 42mph.

When in the military, Gulf was the only credit card I had. Back then Holiday Inn honored the card and my wife and I travelled back and forth across the USA in a Chevrolet using the Guld card for gas and lodging.

Hope I didn't boor you too much, read the post and the memories started filling my head...I much be getting old - Too!:D
Didn't bother me at all. Yes, it took me all my life but I finally reached that "magic" age....69. It's kind of funny that back then, we didn't have anything, but we didn't know it as being anything different from anyone else. It was a simpler time at least from my perspective. We ate and were always full and there was a lot of laughter both inside and outside the house. We had family reunions and they were the greatest. Who has those today? We had chores and who has those today. I cut grass to make extra money and charged 1 dollar and furnished the mower and rake and broom. Dang mower was a push mower too, not one of those fancy gas powered things. Anyway, when times get hard its nice to have those memories to ease back into and hear the glass packs rumble if only in your mind. We all are getting old and remember that the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts