Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filled yesterday and I already used 3/8 Tank and only 64 Miles. Mixed back roads and highway. Is that normal?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Could very well be normal, as the fuel gauges aren't real accurate.

Reactions: Limpy45 and GW_1

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Without knowing what you are riding and how you ride, it may be possible. Back roads in lower gears will use more fuel.
As Cantankerous said, the fuel gauges are not very accurate. Next time, see how much gas it takes. Of course that also depends on filling it to the same level each time.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
As the OP have said the gas gauges on cycles are really not that accurate to begin with and are less accurate with age. Most older riders just set the trip meter and stop every 100 to 150 miles to fill up the bike and empty the rider. Both bike and rider will feel better.😉

·
Registered
835 Posts
A bike's mpg can fluctuate from some of the simplest factors. I've unexpectedly had my fuel consumption almost double when fighting a headwind across the Dakotas. To help semi-calibrate your fuel gauge you might take the time to siphon all the fuel out of your gas tank into a couple of gas cans. Then using a funnel, pour the removed gas back into the bike from an empty Milk Jug to accurately measure each gallon. As the fuel is added, check the position of your fuel gauge.

On my bikes (84 and 96 GW) the fuel gauges both seem to drop like a rock from Full to the 3/4 mark - then it slows way down. After using the above procedure I know that when my fuel gauge needle enters the "right side" of the RED Reserve Mark - I have 2 gallons left in the tank.

Ride Safe - Michael

·
Registered
264 Posts
What are you riding? The one on my 1500 would show empty and still have a couple of gallons of gas left. They were all this way. The one on my 2012 is real close. At half a tank, I put around 3 gallons back in. It just depends on how I ride and if I am pulling my trailer.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've found that each mark on the fuel gauge is about 1 gallon, not accounting for being above the top mark if you overfill.

If this is a GL1800, and given there are six marks, how are you measuring 3/8 of a tank?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are you riding? The one on my 1500 would show empty and still have a couple of gallons of gas left. They were all this way. The one on my 2012 is real close. At half a tank, I put around 3 gallons back in. It just depends on how I ride and if I am pulling my trailer.
'08 Goldwing. Planning to fill when Red to check light appears. Thank you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've found that each mark on the fuel gauge is about 1 gallon, not accounting for being above the top mark if you overfill.

If this is a GL1800, and given there are six marks, how are you measuring 3/8 of a tank?
it is only 6.6 Gallons and I am just a bit over half. Tank 3/8's . I will ride till red and see what I have for MPG. My other bikes were screwy too just curious what others had seen. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

I think the 06 and above have 8 marks. My 2012 does. The first 40-50 miles or so take it to the first mark. after that it moves pretty quickly until it reaches just above 1/2 tank, then stays there for a while. At 1/2 tank I'm at about 150 miles.
It definitely is not linear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the 06 and above have 8 marks. My 2012 does. The first 40-50 miles or so take it to the first mark. after that it moves pretty quickly until it reaches just above 1/2 tank, then stays there for a while. At 1/2 tank I'm at about 150 miles.
It definitely is not linear.
Yes 8-Marks. Appreciate it. Hoping to get 300k miles

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The best I ever did on my 2004 was 260 miles. Put 6.2 gallons in it. On my 2012 I only ran it once til the low fuel light came on. About 240 miles. When you go over 65mph you'll see the mileage drop quickly. Most of the time I can get about 38-40mpg cruising.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The best I ever did on my 2004 was 260 miles. Put 6.2 gallons in it. On my 2012 I only ran it once til the low fuel light came on. About 240 miles. When you go over 65mph you'll see the mileage drop quickly. Most of the time I can get about 38-40mpg cruising.
Geez. 65 is boring. 😄 What about the 80MPH highways?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Unfortunately not many fuel gauges are linear, or have marks that actually correspond to how many gallons per mark. My 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan is a good example along with my 99 GL 1500 SE. On a long trip of more than 300 miles it seems I can drive all day with the van on 1/2 tank, then "bang" next 100 miles it's on empty!! Same with the wing. I rode 140 miles yesterday at roughly 60 mph and used roughly 1/2 tank by the gauge. I have not filled yet, but from previous experience, I used 4.5 gallons of gas. Red light comes on at 5.2 or so gallons.

·
Administrator
15,305 Posts
I had a 2010 Wing and at 80 mph on the interstate I would be getting around 36 mpg. At 200 miles I would be looking for a station to refuel as the low fuel light would be about to come on.

Reactions: bcihil and GW_1

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I ride, I like to enjoy myself and the scenery. I ride for pleasure, it's not the Indy 500.
I hear that, but sometimes spirited rides or highway roads that are 80mph.

I am getting 37mpg mixed roads. I was enjoying my ride and realized I was in New York. Filled up and Went backroads into Danbury. I wish my Goldwing move was sooner.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts