Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Wing for about three weeks now. I've been able to ride it quite a bit; 400 miles the last three days. As I am riding it just seems to smell pretty "gassy" and not just when I go to Taco Bell. :) Nothing seems to be leaking anywhere, it runs great and gas mileage seems to be about right. The PO just had the carbs cleaned and synced less than 2000 miles ago. Is it just the nature of the carbureted older models? I have a Tulsa windshield. Would that be creating a weird back swirl of exhaust somehow? It's certainly liveable, but seems to be a little more than I would naturally expect. I know this is all a little vague but do you have any ideas or where to start looking? Anything to worry about? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It shouldn't smell that way, is the fuel cap on tight? There is a vent tube that runs from the fuel cap, is that there? Hows the fuel filter?

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Scott as Joe said it shouldn't smell that way. If all that Joe said checks out, you may want to pull the gas tank cover off (where the stereo is) & check the hoses good. You may have a small fuel leak that is just not showing up. If you don't have a service manual be careful taking things apart there are a series of interesting devices to hold it all together including two latches inside the fuel lid. I would recommend getting your hands on a manual if you don't have one.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
This might sound redundant but on my 1500 it's pretty easy not to have the cap on tight, I've done it several times and the gas odor is very strong when that happens.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. I found the first part of the problem. Opened up the gas hatch after riding and there is a tiny bit of fuel that has leaked from somewhere into the little spill tray around the gas cap. Cap is on tight. I'm not real mechanical here so any ideas you have would be helpful. First of all the tank is only about half full so it's not like I overfilled it at the last stop. Would a clogged or pinched vent tube do that? Or is it seeping from something like the idle mixture screw or one of the other components crammed tightly into that space?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the problem. New vacuum petcock needed. Sweet little $160 part. The small leak I was seeing creep into the little overflow spill pan was a very small part of what was really happening down below. Pretty major fuel leak all over. Glad it didn't end up in an insurance claim from a fire. Fixed up now and should get much better gas mileage!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
didn't do the work myself, so I asked the mechanic today when I picked it up. He said no, it was obvious up top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts