Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my gas filter a few weeks ago (2 or 3), laid old filter on work bench thinking I would cut open to see insides.
Was full of gas when I put it there and laid there till today and now gas gone and dry. Started to throw it away and something inside rattled; curiosity got me so I cut it open. Filter was separated from where it was glued to insides. See picture. Don't know if drying out would cause this or not ; still scary. Filter: EMGO 14-34-481 Taiwan. Of course now I wonder what may be laying in the bottom of my float bowls. I don't know if PO changed it or when, I've put about 3K miles on.
CIMG0020.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i'm going back on napa's website and see what they have for a filter for 1500 wings once i get the inlet / outlet size i can use any fuel filter the same size. i got a napa gold fuel filter for my 1200 wing about a week ago ( $2.98 ) 1/4 inlet / outlet but i think 1500 wings are 3/8

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Prior to ordering my GL1500SE fuel filter I did some homework. In my journey I found several instances of the EMGO filters coming apart, no longer filtering fuel and putting its' remnants in the carburetor. I decided to order H16900-MG8-003 from Cyclemax. I believe it is also 1/4" input - output. At the time they were $14.50.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
On the 1500 there is a super fine cloth looking filter on the fuel pump it's self. Unless it rots away there is nothing of size getting into the fuel from the tank, and the 1500 fuel filter has two different size tubes (go figure). Different size input and output hose.
Also might want to check the new filters out. The replacements I've seen have a very fine ridge running the length of the tubes from the injection molding process in make them. Use fine sand paper and remove it, I've seen fuel leak along the ridge.

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
I'm on the same page as Doc on fuel filters. I buy a cheap, clear NAPA job, the aglomerated brass kind, so I can see what it's collecting. Not cause of trash in the gas, but my crappy fuel tank (though it looks much better now than when I started.) I replace the fuel filter every year.

On the '83 1100, the tank is so bad I'll HAVE to do the electrolysis deal to clean it before putting fuel in it, otherwise the filter would be plugged after about 1 quart of fuel!:ban:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
On the 1500 there is a super fine cloth looking filter on the fuel pump it's self. Unless it rots away there is nothing of size getting into the fuel from the tank, and the 1500 fuel filter has two different size tubes (go figure). Different size input and output hose.
Also might want to check the new filters out. The replacements I've seen have a very fine ridge running the length of the tubes from the injection molding process in make them. Use fine sand paper and remove it, I've seen fuel leak along the ridge.
Thanks for the heads-up on the injection molding ridges. I'll get back with a quality report on these Honda filters.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Fuel filters are an often forgotten piece of maintenance kit. As noxious a substance as petroleum based products can be, it's no wonder they deteriorate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts