Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour, with Sena 20S Evo headset, Garmin XT GPS, and iPhone (Appleplay) Can anyone help me with the
pairing process so that I can: listen to the GPS; use the Apple CarPlay and still have access to the Honda radio. I had in the past
had everything paired and everything working fine, but now I cannot access the GPS sound. I pair everything I can and I think that
must be the problem. The phone is connected via a cable but do I need to pair the phone to the bike? etc etc. Thanks for any advice I can get.
This is the Australian model so we don't have any Navigation built in with the bike, hence the Apple play.
Cheers Les Murphy

·
Registered
121 Posts
I understand your confusion. I have a 2018 Goldwing and a 2019 KTM 790 Adventure R, both with the capability to mount a Zumo XT. I have come up with three different configurations for the two motorcycles. The KTM configuration is fairly simple since it doesn't have Apple CarPlay. For the Goldwing there is the Apple CarPlay only configuration and Zumo XT only configuration. For a headset I use the Cardo Packtalk bold as do all my riding buddies.

First the Goldwing Apple CarPlay configuration. This configuration gives up using the Zumo XT. It is used primarily around town and for short trips where trip planning is not needed. It allows the rider to use all of the features of your Iphone. With the latest software update on the Goldwing those features are pretty much mimicked by the Android application. I reset my headset's bluetooth links to start over with the setup. After that I link the headset to the Iphone as the primary bluetooth link then link the headset to the Goldwing rider headset link as the secondary link. The Iphone (or Android in your case) is plugged into the Goldwing through the USB port. While using this configuration keep in mind that the Wing and headset has to be completed as shown by the icon on the instrument panel before you plug in your phone. When you plug in your phone to the USB port it should be unlocked which means all the apps appear on the phone screen.

I use cheat sheets for the headset bluetooth reset and the different link setups to eliminate confusion and make it fast. Cheat sheets are attached to the wall in my garage with push pins. I also take photos of the cheat sheets with my Iphone in case something goes awry away from the house. I haven't used the photos very much because after three years of doing all of this configuration it is pretty much memorized.

The Zumo XT configuration gives up using Apple CarPlay. This may sound like a big sacrifice but the only thing it does is eliminate answering your phone with the left handlebar controls. Receiving and sending texts are also gone. I use this configuration for touring because trips can be planned and downloaded on the Zumo XT easily. By the way, I hope you are enjoying your Zumo XT as much as me. It is less costly than the older premier Zumos and the screen brightness is outstanding especially for adventure riding. Once again for a fresh setup if you are going from the CarPlay setup to the Zumo setup I would reset the bluetooth links although your Sena may be different. I then link the headset to the Iphone as the primary bluetooth link then link the headset to the Zumo as the secondary bluetooth link. The final step is to bluetooth link the Iphone to the Zumo. You can still plug in your phone into the USB port to keep it charged while riding. I can still answer phone calls while riding by stabbing any button on my headset, not sure how you do that on a Sena. I can listen to music stored on my phone through the headset and turn it on or off with verbal commands. Music volume can be increased or decreased with verbal commands on the Packtalk. If you have music playlists you will have to choose one before you move out on your Wing as well as choose random or repeat manually on the phone.

Hope this helps. If you come up with a way to do both configurations combined let us know because I have yet to find it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand your confusion. I have a 2018 Goldwing and a 2019 KTM 790 Adventure R, both with the capability to mount a Zumo XT. I have come up with three different configurations for the two motorcycles. The KTM configuration is fairly simple since it doesn't have Apple CarPlay. For the Goldwing there is the Apple CarPlay only configuration and Zumo XT only configuration. For a headset I use the Cardo Packtalk bold as do all my riding buddies.

First the Goldwing Apple CarPlay configuration. This configuration gives up using the Zumo XT. It is used primarily around town and for short trips where trip planning is not needed. It allows the rider to use all of the features of your Iphone. With the latest software update on the Goldwing those features are pretty much mimicked by the Android application. I reset my headset's bluetooth links to start over with the setup. After that I link the headset to the Iphone as the primary bluetooth link then link the headset to the Goldwing rider headset link as the secondary link. The Iphone (or Android in your case) is plugged into the Goldwing through the USB port. While using this configuration keep in mind that the Wing and headset has to be completed as shown by the icon on the instrument panel before you plug in your phone. When you plug in your phone to the USB port it should be unlocked which means all the apps appear on the phone screen.

I use cheat sheets for the headset bluetooth reset and the different link setups to eliminate confusion and make it fast. Cheat sheets are attached to the wall in my garage with push pins. I also take photos of the cheat sheets with my Iphone in case something goes awry away from the house. I haven't used the photos very much because after three years of doing all of this configuration it is pretty much memorized.

The Zumo XT configuration gives up using Apple CarPlay. This may sound like a big sacrifice but the only thing it does is eliminate answering your phone with the left handlebar controls. Receiving and sending texts are also gone. I use this configuration for touring because trips can be planned and downloaded on the Zumo XT easily. By the way, I hope you are enjoying your Zumo XT as much as me. It is less costly than the older premier Zumos and the screen brightness is outstanding especially for adventure riding. Once again for a fresh setup if you are going from the CarPlay setup to the Zumo setup I would reset the bluetooth links although your Sena may be different. I then link the headset to the Iphone as the primary bluetooth link then link the headset to the Zumo as the secondary bluetooth link. The final step is to bluetooth link the Iphone to the Zumo. You can still plug in your phone into the USB port to keep it charged while riding. I can still answer phone calls while riding by stabbing any button on my headset, not sure how you do that on a Sena. I can listen to music stored on my phone through the headset and turn it on or off with verbal commands. Music volume can be increased or decreased with verbal commands on the Packtalk. If you have music playlists you will have to choose one before you move out on your Wing as well as choose random or repeat manually on the phone.

Hope this helps. If you come up with a way to do both configurations combined let us know because I have yet to find it.
Many thanks for the time you took to reply to me. I will now spend some time going thru and pairing the devices as you suggested in that order. Will let you know how I get on.
Cheers Les

·
Registered
121 Posts
Les, you're welcome. One last thing about the Zumo XT configuration, if you haven't downloaded the Garmin Drive app onto your phone you are missing some features on the Zumo. It is kind of a clunky app but it is needed if you want your contacts available on the Zumo. It also displays calls coming in on your phone with the contact name making the call on your Zumo screen. At least the Cardo Packtalk and Iphone combination does it on mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, got that. I only ride on Wednesdays with a group called Ulysses. Yet to get around to re-pairing the Garmin, as
have been pretty busy, but I will get back to you,
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts