Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
On my new 2009, I have the Garmin Nav system.
I've very familiar with the GPS units, as I have had four Garmins, and my newest is a 765.
I'm not happy with the Honda version, and I don't know what's wrong.
It tries to take me on routes that make no sense, and when in Map mode only, it doesn't list cities or towns along the route, just the roads, and even though it says the Map version is 2008, I found the road data is about 3+ years old.
I have been through the Setup screen, and the choices are pretty few, and not the same as a regular Garmin, but I have both set to "Faster Time" and Avoid set to "U-turns and Traffic". Still, they don't take me via the same route, the 765 doing a much better job.
I just wondered what some others thought with their Nav units.
I'll keep putzing with it, see if I can figure this out. It should work the same IMO. I'll get the new Update at the end of October with the SD card, so hopefully that will include later road data.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
24 Posts
NAV system

I just took delivery on a new 2010 Goldwing and it has the nav system. I almost did not get the nav because of all the negative comments about it. The nav system on the 2010 is very very nice. I guess the problems with the earlier nav systems must have been corrected because I have no complaints so far with the 2010 model.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been trying to figure out a way to mount my 765 without interfering with the guages, but haven't come up with a solution yet. Seems silly, probably, since the only problem is most likely the software.
I'll write Honda and ask them if I can install a 2010 software package.

Robert

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There are a lot of complaints about the navi system, did you check your owners manual on what you are trying to do? You can mount a Garmin with mounts from ram mounts or there are several different companies that make mounts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't Depend on Honda's Support on the NAVI

Hi,
On my new 2009, I have the Garmin Nav system.
I've very familiar with the GPS units, as I have had four Garmins, and my newest is a 765.
I'm not happy with the Honda version, and I don't know what's wrong.
It tries to take me on routes that make no sense, and when in Map mode only, it doesn't list cities or towns along the route, just the roads, and even though it says the Map version is 2008, I found the road data is about 3+ years old.
I have been through the Setup screen, and the choices are pretty few, and not the same as a regular Garmin, but I have both set to "Faster Time" and Avoid set to "U-turns and Traffic". Still, they don't take me via the same route, the 765 doing a much better job.
I just wondered what some others thought with their Nav units.
I'll keep putzing with it, see if I can figure this out. It should work the same IMO. I'll get the new Update at the end of October with the SD card, so hopefully that will include later road data.

Thanks,
Robert
Robert, I've been riding my 2008 Lev III since I bought new in Jul07, and can tell you horror stories about the NAVI in my Wing. The NAVI in my bike is 1st Gen, so I'm now stuck with the last map update available non-NT 2009 (2008 maps).

Honda sold their 2006 thru 2008 Gold Wings with the same software; never updated it, except for the firmware. I did update my maps twice, but am a victim of technology--the non-NT software is no longer supported by Garmin, so the only way I can get updates is buy a new Wing (2009 or later now to get updates; your model has been updated to allow use of the NT version of software).

All that said, I would not depend on the CF updates from Garmin/Honda, as that is an expensive way to go and they don't have a good record of even providing them. The last update CF that was provided had the updated firmware, but the same map set as sold with the bike--all for the low, low price of $200. A lot of folks got ripped off. You're better off buying the Garmin software and installing it on your PC and updating your own CF cards for use in your NAVI (about a third of the cost).

I don't have experience with the 2009 NAVI, so don't know if the same procedure can work as on the 2006-2008s--but suspect it can.

Good Luck.

Update: Also, I love and use my Zumo550 on the Wing. I use it for the detailed navigation chores and I use the NAVI for "the big picture" view. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
NAV system

As I said earlier I am very pleased with the nav system that came on my 2010 wing. I have not taken a long trip yet just a couple of 50 milers but the cities, towns and even small communities show up on my system. I took a trip over to Brewton, Alabama (I am in Pensacola, Florida) and it routed me along the major road way but when I turned off on a side road it re-routed me the way I wanted to go. I also have the weather and traffic feature. I have not had occasion to use the traffic system but I love the weahter feature it show radar weather moving in and alerts you with voice about rain or other bad weather. I think that I will keep my nav system. Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question about update for Navi system on 2006 Wing

My Navi system on my 2006 Wing is virtually useless now and I have heard mention on this forum of updating the original CF card on my PC. Does anyone know where I can purchase this software update (I live in Alberta, Canada), what is the exact SKU or order number, approximately how much it is and if this update goes beyond 2008 maps and includes the weather feature that the 2009 Wing has on its Navi system? Lots of questions I know, but I would really appreciate any answers anyone can give me. Thanks.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Saly, I purchased the updated card for my '09AD model. But I haven't done the update or used the bike with it yet. I'm headed to Florida for some R&R shortly, and then I'll do it when I return. I'll post what I find out about the update so all can see. Likley won't help any of you Stateside, as the update is for Canadian models. There could be something down there now, too. The local dealership got a bulletin and advised me of it. The part # is 3925-OMC-AL20 but I wouldn't run out and buy one just yet, they're over $200 so wait and see how mine turns out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the website for the Update SD card:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10750&ra=true

After running some tests, it's performing pretty good, I check it against my 765T. You have to be careful about setting it for either Faster Time or Shortest Distance. The results vary. I have to update mine also, it's using the 2008 version.

Going from Rochester NY to Akron OH tomorrow AM and will be using it on the trip. We'll see how it goes when I get close to my destination.

Robert

·
Registered
402 Posts
The first time I rode my '08 was from SLC to Vegas. Went through the setup screens twice on the way home and could not figure out why it had me turning off at every side trail and dirt road for 400 miles.

Once home, I went through each option again and noticed the "Highways" box was highlighted in the "Avoid" section. I disabled this option and the unit started making intelligent decisions again. Not sure how I missed that selection on two separate occasions. Check those settings closely and perhaps you'll find your problem.

Also, I checked out a ZUMO 550 on display at Fry's Electronics the other day and was very impressed. I'm gonna include the 550 in my letter to Santa this year.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Navi update. Will be waiting to hear how it works for you Wingers who have done the update.
Saly, be careful about Canadian bikes. I have 09 AD and it has a CF card where the US bikes have the SD card. I dont know if there is an update/upgrade available for these. Since Budoka has one I suggest that we use him as Guinea Pig. (Sorry Budoka no offence intended) ;)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
No worries Snuffy. That's why I posted the message. All Canadian Navi owners can benefit from my trial of the upgrade. I got a bit impulsive on the purchase, but I wanted it bad enough that I thought I'd try it and see if I could benefit the group either way. I'm leaving for Florida next Thursday, and with the weather right now and tax time, I won't do the install until I return on the 10th. Should have enough info to share by mid April at the latest. I was in Edmonton this morning, vis was terrible at times, streets and freeways were misty, dirty crap, and Edmonton's roads leave much to be desired in the first place. Nice legacy the queen of green left behind with all that money she saved on road maintenance. Glad I don't have to drive them every day. During riding season I can use the bypass routes (hwy 44, 60, 21 etc) and avoid the moon sized craters and all the necessary construction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got back from a run to Akron, OH today.
Used the Garmin the whole way, and it performed exceptional. I did notice, mistakenly, that even though it's a 2009, the Garmin Nav version is 2006.
One thing to be aware of, Garmin updates twice yearly, so find out when the releases are.
Getting the update will be this week for sure.

Robert

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's the website for the Update SD card:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10750&ra=true

After running some tests, it's performing pretty good, I check it against my 765T. You have to be careful about setting it for either Faster Time or Shortest Distance. The results vary. I have to update mine also, it's using the 2008 version.

Going from Rochester NY to Akron OH tomorrow AM and will be using it on the trip. We'll see how it goes when I get close to my destination.

Robert
Thanks I just ordered one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jim. I am using your directions you posted 2/25/09 on updating Navi. I get as far as putting "gupdate.gcd" as a file on a blank CF card but it will not load when I turn ignition to "acc". Your directions state create a directory titled "\GARMIN" my computer says that the \ cannot be used as a file or folder name. Help! John

Robert, I've been riding my 2008 Lev III since I bought new in Jul07, and can tell you horror stories about the NAVI in my Wing. The NAVI in my bike is 1st Gen, so I'm now stuck with the last map update available non-NT 2009 (2008 maps).

Honda sold their 2006 thru 2008 Gold Wings with the same software; never updated it, except for the firmware. I did update my maps twice, but am a victim of technology--the non-NT software is no longer supported by Garmin, so the only way I can get updates is buy a new Wing (2009 or later now to get updates; your model has been updated to allow use of the NT version of software).

All that said, I would not depend on the CF updates from Garmin/Honda, as that is an expensive way to go and they don't have a good record of even providing them. The last update CF that was provided had the updated firmware, but the same map set as sold with the bike--all for the low, low price of $200. A lot of folks got ripped off. You're better off buying the Garmin software and installing it on your PC and updating your own CF cards for use in your NAVI (about a third of the cost).

I don't have experience with the 2009 NAVI, so don't know if the same procedure can work as on the 2006-2008s--but suspect it can.

Good Luck.

Update: Also, I love and use my Zumo550 on the Wing. I use it for the detailed navigation chores and I use the NAVI for "the big picture" view. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just Drop the Slash

Jim. I am using your directions you posted 2/25/09 on updating Navi. I get as far as putting "gupdate.gcd" as a file on a blank CF card but it will not load when I turn ignition to "acc". Your directions state create a directory titled "\GARMIN" my computer says that the \ cannot be used as a file or folder name. Help! John
Don't use the "\" as part of the name. Just use "GARMIN." I used it in the instructions to denote a "directory" structure, not part of the literal file name. Apologies for the confusion.

Good Luck!

JIM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't use the "\" as part of the name. Just use "GARMIN." I used it in the instructions to denote a "directory" structure, not part of the literal file name. Apologies for the confusion.

Good Luck!

JIM
Jim. I am not going to try to update to the 2009 update. Now I have another problem. I saved the three files on my original CF card ro my computer and then loaded them to a brand new CF card. I turned the ignition to "acc" and inserted this new card but it will not load. I then resaved to a fresh CF card only the 4.02 version of the gupdate.gcd that was saved from the original CF card and that will not load. I have the 4.31 version of gupdate.gcd. Should that version be used to reload the original maps that are saved on my computer? Am I doing something wrong in how I am trying to restore the system to the original 2005 maps? I have a 2007 Wing. Thanks John

·
Registered
103 Posts
Make sure you're following the process...

Jim. I am not going to try to update to the 2009 update. Now I have another problem. I saved the three files on my original CF card ro my computer and then loaded them to a brand new CF card. I turned the ignition to "acc" and inserted this new card but it will not load. I then resaved to a fresh CF card only the 4.02 version of the gupdate.gcd that was saved from the original CF card and that will not load. I have the 4.31 version of gupdate.gcd. Should that version be used to reload the original maps that are saved on my computer? Am I doing something wrong in how I am trying to restore the system to the original 2005 maps? I have a 2007 Wing. Thanks John
The only advice I can give you is to follow the instructions EXPLICITLY when you perform the update. Don't deviate or take any shortcuts. For sure, you can't just "copy" the files from one drive/card to another and have it work; the maps are copyprotected and require the use of MapSource on your PC to load copies to CF cards.

You haven't mentioned working with City Navigator (MapSource) on your PC, so I must assume you tried to just copy the files from your PC directory you created to a new CF card. Again, MapSource, on your PC, treats the CF Card just as if it were a Garmin GPS device. If you're not using MapSource for loading the maps to the CF card (not just copying from PC to CF), you're not following the process I specified.

Further, you must use a copy of the mapset that YOU OWN and have an unlock code for. The CF card ("device") must be paired with an unlock code from Garmin in order to work. I believe that Garmin only allows each mapset you own to be paired with two devices at a time (e.g., your Zumo550 and your CF card). If you get a new CF card, you'd have to "unlink" the old card and then unlock and link to the new CF card. This is more technical than I can guide you through; use the documentation in MapSource or call Garmin.

Don't forget that the 2006-08 NAVIs use the Non-NT compression algorithm, so you can't use the newest mapsets on the CF card in the 2006-08 NAVIs (the ones on the lifetime update that work with your Zumo550 use the NT compression algorithm; totally different)
PHP:
. The new mapsets might work on the 2009 and later NAVIs, but I haven't tested this procedure on the new NAVI.

Here is a link to the original post, if needed: Instructions for Updating the Honda NAVI (2006-08 ONLY)

Hope this helps.

JIM

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Johnny/Jim and everyone: be very careful about following instructions on the Navi. the Honda techs I have spoken with were very adamant that the uploading of info was real dicey. The forced upload in the manual is difficult and might not get the job done. If you guys are IT people then you can likely do it and not create problems within the system, but those of us in the rank and file can do major damage and neither Garmin or Honda will bail us out...especially Garmin. Take good care in your efforts.
p.s There is a Honda dealer update available for US versions past '08 but not sure of the part # or the going price. I paid just under $300 Cdn for mine and I'm on a cost + at our dealership (retail is about $329 if I remember correctly) so figure on about $250 USD or thereabouts. I'm satisfied with the results but it's a personal choice thing really. I use Garmin GPS systems in my aircraft and love them, but they are very unresponsive about helping with the Honda system in both the bike and my wife's car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts