Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded the Garmin map chip on my 2008 GW. The old chip was dated 2006. The new chip is dated 2011. It appears that Garmin is only updating the map database about every five years. The new chip made no new software changes that I'm aware of. You still have to press the "Enter" button to get the map to show. I was hoping that they would squash that bug.

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
I just upgraded the Garmin map chip on my 2008 GW. The old chip was dated 2006. The new chip is dated 2011. It appears that Garmin is only updating the map database about every five years. The new chip made no new software changes that I'm aware of. You still have to press the "Enter" button to get the map to show. I was hoping that they would squash that bug.
Hello & welcome to GWOF from VA.

Is this update the SD card? & if so do you just swap the cards? Cost?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
I just did a update on my Garmin Street Pilot last night.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Thanks,

Mark
I agree

Please let us know where to get it and how much it is, I ride with several guys who are drooling for an update.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Garmin GPS updates

I suggest you goto garmin.com/goldwing ... this site has an update feature you can select and explore for the GL1800 built-ins. I have never used this particular site because I have the Garmin Streetpilot 2720. I have updated the 2720 many times. They have a fee for the Lifetime Updates. In turn they email you when a new update is available which is about every six months or so. You then plug in and run the update. Maybe you should just give them a call as their customer support people are great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gps udpate

Thanks,

Mark
Instructions come with the card. Cost is $95 ($108 with tax and shipping). Turn ignition key off. Remove old sd card. Start motorcycle. Wait for press enter message. Insert new sd card. Don't touch anything until upate is complete.

·
Registered
208 Posts
sounds like i need to check out a garmin. I have a nextar dash mount it will not update. so i'm looking for a new unit

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
There have still been a few bugs being reported elsewhere - have you noticed any? One, I believe, was the inability to search for anything with Saint or St in the name. I've been wanting to update mine, but have been holding off.

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Instructions come with the card. Cost is $95 ($108 with tax and shipping). Turn ignition key off. Remove old sd card. Start motorcycle. Wait for press enter message. Insert new sd card. Don't touch anything until upate is complete.
Thanks for the reply....The price is less than half of what Garmin was asking a little over a year ago.

Mark

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I just signed on for lifetime map updates (limit 1 update per quarter) for my 2730 Street Pilot. $95.61 US including tax.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Five months later -- after GPS map update

It's been about five months since I upgraded the GPS map chip. If I had to do it again, I don't think I would. You just don't get enough bang for the buck. It does include some new roads. Depending on your zoom scale, a brand new four lane state highway could show up correctly. And, as you zoom out the four lane highway disappears while older two lane highways are still displaying. Also, I've noticed that if I press the display button, there is a time lag between changing screens. There was no time lag with the original chip. If you're dead set on getting the upgraded chip go to www.garmin.com/goldwing. But, it's just not worth the money. You may want to splurge and get a Garmin Zumo -- which is more like a waterproof version of an automotive GPS and the upgrades are more frequent and cheaper.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is it worth it??

Really depends on your location. I wasn't thinking about updating until we headed down into the Ozarks on a new (relatively) 4-lane state highway that wasn't on the maps. Depending on the zoom, it looked like we were off-roading. The update is pricey compared to the lifetime updates for any other stand alone unit (we have a 276C on the little boat and nuvi ???? for the car) but the deal we got on the bike meant the integrated GPS came along for the ride. I've seen very nice installs of the Zumo models on GWs. Much nicer to be able to take the unit in and access/program on the PC than sit in the garage or driveway and input your route. I wouldn't update unless you found stuff missing on your particular riding area. Of course, you might not know until too late, but some sort of backup should always be available.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Garmin update

I updated my 2720 also and was told that MapSource is no longer available for updates. They gave me BaseCamp and I think I like it better. There are only a couple of things different from MapSource and I told the tech he needed to report them to get changed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just got the 2011 update for my '07 Wing. I gave up waiting for a 2013 update which Garmin has been planning to release "in the next few weeks" since last November. They did warn me that indeed there's a bug in it. Typing any city that starts with "St." will cause the whole GPS to reboot.

Larry, St. John's, Florida (really!)

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
I updated my Garmin Nuvi 1350lmt last night. Not enough memory to do the whole USA, so I opted for the NE only. There is only 2G in the unit so I guess I need to get a micro SD card to be able to have the whole USA.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Just got the 2011 update for my '07 Wing. I gave up waiting for a 2013 update which Garmin has been planning to release "in the next few weeks" since last November. They did warn me that indeed there's a bug in it. Typing any city that starts with "St." will cause the whole GPS to reboot.

Larry, St. John's, Florida (really!)

Did they happen to mention whether they'll give you a break on the new firmware if they ever do release one without bugs?

Kerry

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh I can tell you without a doubt that they do not plan on offering a break on the next one even though they acknowledge there's a bug in the current one. I also heard it from a very senior person at Garmin that the holdup on a 2013 map update is due to Honda dragging its feet, not Garmin. Reminds me of the cellphone companies and their [email protected]@y tactic of rarely making the latest software available for their phones so they can get you to buy a new one.

I will never buy another vehicle (car or bike) with built-in GPS unless its Google maps. Superior product and you ne'er have to worry about updates.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I will never buy another vehicle (car or bike) with built-in GPS unless its Google maps. Superior product and you ne'er have to worry about updates.
This interests me.

I presently have a Garmin Nuvi for my car/truck and it has lifetime maps. Also recently acquired a "smart phone" with built in GPS, which I believe is based on Google Maps. I need to supply some sort of power supply to whatever I decide to install on my Wing. There are a gazillion sources for power receptacles. Would be standard plug (cigarette lighter, female receptacle) for Nuvi, or USB for my phone. If I were to chose the phone, I would also need to purchase some additional RAM mounting hardware and possibly a protective case, about $60.00 plus the cost of the hardware. I already have the mounting hardware for my GPS, no protective case (heard ziplock bags have been used successfully by some members).

May I ask for your opinions?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
This interests me.

I presently have a Garmin Nuvi for my car/truck and it has lifetime maps. Also recently acquired a "smart phone" with built in GPS, which I believe is based on Google Maps. I need to supply some sort of power supply to whatever I decide to install on my Wing. There are a gazillion sources for power receptacles. Would be standard plug (cigarette lighter, female receptacle) for Nuvi, or USB for my phone. If I were to chose the phone, I would also need to purchase some additional RAM mounting hardware and possibly a protective case, about $60.00 plus the cost of the hardware. I already have the mounting hardware for my GPS, no protective case (heard ziplock bags have been used successfully by some members).

May I ask for your opinions?

Thank you.
I have my Nuvi 1350 on a Ram mount connected to the power outlet in the left front pocket. And yes I use the zip lock baggie trick..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use this ram mount to hold my Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone. I do not worry too much about rain/water on the phone since I rarely ride in that weather. When it happens, I take the phone off the mount and stow it. While I have Honda's GPS unit, it just is never current with points of interest and also doesn't show traffic. Google maps on my smartphone does all that.

I am a music junkie and use my smartphone to stream music. I had a problem with getting ignition hum when I used a power adapter to keep my phone charged. I finally stumbled across this Motorola charger that I just plug into the lighter socket inside the left storage pocket. The cord is thin enough that I just close the door on it, leaving a short amount trailing out.

I also use the Sena SMH10 helmet intercom rather than the 'Wing's. No cords and way better sound quality especially at highway speeds. Plus, you can use Samsung's voice recognition handsfree from the helmet. For example, press the phone button once on the helmet intercom and just say, "directions to home". Everything just works.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts