Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Xmas...Yes thinking ahead...Looking at the Garmin 660 GPS model....

Does any one have a Garmin GPS on there bike...if so..

1) Did you have to purchase a separate power source cable?

2) Does it plug into the radio system or is it stand alone?...if it plugs in did you have to order a seperate cable if so from whom...?

3) What type of mount ...hear RAM mounts are the way to go...?

I am just trying to figure out how much more cost there is up and above the GPS unit itself....

Thank You in advance...

Safe Ride...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I paid around $100 for the unit and had a new receptical put in my left side pocket! Works well and i just mount the unit to the windshield! I take it off and lock it up when stopped!!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I have the Garmin 660 and I use it in the cage and the bike.

1. The power cord plugs into a 12v outlet which you can have installed on your bike.
2. The 660 has an option to transmit the voice to a FM station which you can program into your audio system. That way you can hear the commands through your headset. It also has Bluetooth capabilities, so you can hear incoming phone conversations as well.
3. I bought the Ram Mount and have it installed on the left side to the clutch reservoir. I don't remember the number but you can search that on the ram mount website.

The only problem I have with the 660 which is not uncommon with other units is the screen glare makes it difficult to see sometimes. Other than that, it's a great unit...

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Definitely go with an external power source. My portable Garmins are both aviation units with ground data bases, and they eat batteries like crazy. The units usually come with the cords, but you'd have to install the 12v plug on the bike if you haven't already got one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is how I did it.
Under the left side pocket accessory plug

since I am only using the power port plug for my gps I added a pig tail just in case I wanted to add something else

Exit from the left pocket

I used the bike ram mount on the left side perch.
Hope this helps ya

dd

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 12Vdc cigerrete lighter plug in the left pocket already...use it to power my IPod...do you think it would be too much of a power drain on the bike to power both the GPS and the IPod through that one power source plug....?

My gut tells me no...since these are low voltage/current devices....but what if I install a heated jacket to the bikes battery...Am I pushing the alternator's capacity...hate to have a dead battery each time I start the bike....:confused:

Any thoughts....

Safe Ride....

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I forget what the rated output for that plug is, but I think you'd be fine since both devices are low draw. I'd get a splitter for the plug and try it for sure. As for the heated jacket, if you wire it direct to the battery you should be fine, 1800's have a 1.2kw alternator; your heated jacket isn't going to be on unless you're on the bike right?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forget what the rated output for that plug is, but I think you'd be fine since both devices are low draw. I'd get a splitter for the plug and try it for sure. As for the heated jacket, if you wire it direct to the battery you should be fine, 1800's have a 1.2kw alternator; your heated jacket isn't going to be on unless you're on the bike right?
Well...I have been known to park the bike and fall a sleep in the saddle to only be woken up the next morning.....NO...I was not drunk....Just tired from riding....:D

Thanks

Safe Ride

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
You should be fine with what you have or will have attached to the electrical system. If you have any doubts about it, you can buy a battery tender and just plug the bike in when ever it's not in use. I have one and I have the bike plugged in when ever it sits in the garage. Leave it on all winter and the bike starts right up in the spring.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
10-4 budoka. I rode with Rex this past weekend and he had two heated riding gear outlets. Both were wired directly to the battery.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a Garmin 760, I haven't used it on a bike yet,but, what I wanted to say about the power cord was; Mine came with the traffic receiver/power cord, it has the receiver built into the end. It's a great option for keeping tabs on accidents/traffic tie-ups...the
Garmin will reroute you if the traffic is messed up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Both are very low draws, my zumo 660 has a 2 amp fuse and the power port has a 5 amp fuse unless you have changed it to 10 amp for a cigarette lighter plug.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a nuvi 760 with hard wire to the accessory outlet. Plan to wire my XM the same way. Have them mounted to the handle bars now but plan to change to the center console above the radio soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts