Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my garmin compact flash card navi update and following the directions of taking the old card out and putting the new card in while powered up, nothing happens. I have let it sit for 10 minutes and nothing happens. And of course Garmin is closed until Monday. Anybody have similiar issues with there new card?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
This reminds me of my experience. One of the pins pulled out when I popped the old card. Had to get a new card holder from Honda (warranty). I hope that isn't what happened to you, knocks out the entire sytem once the navi unit is unplugged. To check the pins you have to remove the whole navi unit and look into the card slot to see the pins. They should all be visible and in nice straight lines, they are all but impossible to straighten if one is bent (although it can be done if you're a better surgeon than I am). Mine pulled right out on one side so replacement was the only alternative.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I just received my garmin compact flash card navi update and following the directions of taking the old card out and putting the new card in while powered up, nothing happens. I have let it sit for 10 minutes and nothing happens. And of course Garmin is closed until Monday. Anybody have similiar issues with there new card?
OK, lets go through this step by step.
1. Are you sure you got the right card for the right bike?
2. Ignition OFF.
3. Remove old card.
4. Turn ignition to ACC
5. After the initial screen appears, insert the new CF card.
6. DO NOT press enter. If Audio screen appears first, press DISP to display the Navi Screen.
7. System should automatically start to update. Up to 1 minute after you insert the new card the word "Loader" appears briefly at the bottom of the screen. Then it should say " Updating from Card". The update will be complete when the original Navi screen re-appears.
8. BIG NO-NO.....Do not remove the CF Memory card OR turn the ignition switch OFF before update is complete. Doing so may cause a problem in the Navi System. If update fails call Honda or call Garmin.
9. To verify update was successful, go to Setup/Info/System menu. The screen shows the software version loaded into the Navi System. Make sure it is the same as the number on the CF card you inserted.
10. Those are the instructions from Garmin. Those pins are delicate and much care needs to be used when putting the new card in or taking the old card out.
11. Check the old card carefully and see if there are any pins broken off and still in the old card. The card is Female and the Navi Unit is male.
12. If it all appears that you have done "exactly" as the instructions, put the old CF back in and see if you are back at square 1. You might have received a defective CF Card.
13. Hate to end on #13 but thats all I can do to help. Good luck.
:D
Isaac

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pins have to be OK because the old card still works fine. It's just when you put the new card in nothing happens. I'll call garmin and see if they can send a new card. Thanks

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Sorry that you got a bummer card. This Navi System is a tar baby that once you get your fingers on, you can't seem to let go of. Its a sore spot with almost all the Wingers but there is nothing we can do but live with it. Hang in there...:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts